Crepe Myrtle Natchez

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would like to pick your brains. We were given a number of months ago two Crepe Myrtle Natchez in memory of my mum and my partners dad who have passed away. They were both bare rooted and about 2 metres tall. We took great care in ensuring that we prepared the soil for planting and have been watering regularly. They have been planted for about 4 months. We did have a rather wet winter but the weather has been pretty good for at least the past 6 weeks. Anyway neither of them has budded or have any leaves appear. We have scratched the branches/stems and they appear to be green so not really sure if they are ever going to do anything. Does anyone know any other way that we can check to see if these two sticks are going to turn into anything. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United States
By the beginning of Summer (in the Southern Hemisphere), one might expect some growth. Do the the branch tips still seem alive?
If the very tips are dead but there is living tissue farther down the stem the tree might be delayed while it develops new axillary buds, but that is just speculation. One might consider pruning off any dead tips, though I'm not sure if that would help... Since you have two trees you might try two different treatments and see if there is any difference. For now, be patient, and let us know how this develops. It is interesting when a plant stays dormant longer than expected and then revives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Natchez is one of the last varieties to break dormancy and one of the last to go dormant. It's just the way it is. Be patient. They have, in my opinion, the most beautiful bark of any variety of Crepe Myrtle. The colors and patterns are so striking, if it never bloomed I'd grow it anyway! So sorry for your loss, but a beautiful tribute to well-loved relatives.

Ask a Question