Crepe Myrtle Question!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a young crepe myrtle that hasn't budded. It's about 6 ft tall with a single trunk less than an inch in diameter. I've seen older ones around town that have begun leafing. Is it normal mine hasn't? I'm in zone 8a and the weather has been cold to warm to rainy and back. High today is 89 f, tomorrow 58 f!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a young crepe myrtle that hasn't budded. It's about 6 ft tall with a single trunk less than an inch in diameter. I've seen older ones around town that have begun leafing. Is it normal mine hasn't? I'm in zone 8a and the weather has been cold to warm to rainy and back. High today is 89 f, tomorrow 58 f!
It all depends on the variety. Some leaf out earlier than others. Be patient.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to keep my crepe myrtles aerated around the base of the plant by keeping the top 2 inches loose between waterings. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for all the replies. It turns out the trunk was in fact dead, I cut it off and now it's sprouted again from the very base, 4-5 shoots already a foot tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for all the replies. It turns out the trunk was in fact dead, I cut it off and now it's sprouted again from the very base, 4-5 shoots already a foot tall.
This sounds like you have one of the grafted crepe myrtles. Most are not grafted but some are. Just hope it is a desirable rootstock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
PS: It's the white flowering variety. Really glad it's going to live on. It was previously dug up and moved to another spot, definitely stressed it but I know it will thrive now. I'll try to take pictures when it flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Don't know much about grafted vs non, I mean. Why wouldn't it be desirable? It was purchased from a nursery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What do you mean? I don't know much about it.
Some CM were grafted, that is, a different type of CM than the roots, were attached to the roots. This is done to make a stronger healthier end product tree. After the rootstock is the correct size the grower can attach a scion (cutting) to the rootstock that is the desired color and will be the desired height. It is akin to citrus trees where sour orange or trifoliate roots are attached (grafted) onto lemons, oranges or just about any citrus tree. The sour orange or trifoliate is a terrible fruit tree but when the roots are grafted onto an orange scion it makes a wonderful fruit tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Interesting. Good info. I knew fruit and nuts trees were but not CM. Hopefully mine was grafted to be perfect. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting. Good info. I knew fruit and nuts trees were but not CM. Hopefully mine was grafted to be perfect. :)
Most CM's are hybrids. That is they grow on their own roots, but since your tree died and the roots lived it is grafted.. What I can guarantee is that the grown tree will not be anything like what you expect. How did you determine that the trunk was in fact dead?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Most CM's are hybrids. That is they grow on their own roots, but since your tree died and the roots lived it is grafted.. What I can guarantee is that the grown tree will not be anything like what you expect. How did you determine that the trunk was in fact dead?

It had no leaves, no growth late after other similar CMs haD budded even half dead ones around town. I read to cut back until green is found and there was nothing, just dry and snapping all the way down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What will the tree be like if not as expected?
There is no way to tell except to ask the nursery the name of the rootstock and they may or may not know it. Then ask who the grower was and ask him. But I can say this, most rootstocks make terrible specimens.

Ask a Question