Cranberry Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WUPPJ 15 October 2014 Cranberry Juice
About 25 pounds of cranberries was ordered from Johnstone’s Cranberries in Bala, Ontario. Cost was $60.00 plus $30.00 shipping. This was made into 25 liters of juice. Each liter has about a liter of berries or about one pound. Cranberries have almost no juice so each cooking pot had 12 liters of water added to create juice. Method: A liter of water per pound added,cooked for about 20 minutes until soft, beat into a slurry with the hand blender, strained in 2mm screen food mill, placed in liter jars and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are a lot of people who do not like the flavor of cranberries because they are so bitter, but I love a cold glass of cranberry juice. It is really good for your bladder as it will keep infections away.

Reaction score
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WUPPJ 15 October 2014 Cranberry Juice
About 25 pounds of cranberries was ordered from Johnstone’s Cranberries in Bala, Ontario. Cost was $60.00 plus $30.00 shipping. This was made into 25 liters of juice. Each liter has about a liter of berries or about one pound. Cranberries have almost no juice so each cooking pot had 12 liters of water added to create juice. Method: A liter of water per pound added,cooked for about 20 minutes until soft, beat into a slurry with the hand blender, strained in 2mm screen food mill, placed in liter jars and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.
URL
This is really interesting. Looks like a really great project one day I'm going to have to give it a try. So, you produced 12 liters of cranberry juice I assume?

Reaction score
That's alot of cranberries! Whew! I love cranberry juice. I love the tart flavor. However, I would rather buy it from the store in the carton instead of making it. So much easier!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
That's alot of cranberries! Whew! I love cranberry juice. I love the tart flavor. However, I would rather buy it from the store in the carton instead of making it. So much easier!

You are buying red coloured water, with a bit of flavour added. This is characteristic of most commercial juice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Duran is right. If you read the labels on most store bought juices, you will find that only a small percentage of it is real juice, and yet you spend almost $4 a bottle.

Reaction score
Did you add a sweetener. Sugar, or maybe some honey. I think unsweetened cranberry juice probably taste like strong medicine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Did you add a sweetener. Sugar, or maybe some honey. I think unsweetened cranberry juice probably taste like strong medicine.

Nothing except water. One could add a few apples to the mixture when cooking. Apples are very sweet. Sometimes when ingesting I mix with other juices like pear, apple, grape pumpkin, cherry, plum and orange in the drinking glass.

Added sugar or salt defeats the purpose in many cases, and one gets use to the material in its natural state. All sweeteners are the same and in my view should be avoided.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Honey is an excellent natural sweetener, but don't use it if you are going to give the juice to babies. I am trying to use honey more in my own diet to replace some of the bad sugars I use now on a daily basis.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Honey is an excellent natural sweetener, but don't use it if you are going to give the juice to babies. I am trying to use honey more in my own diet to replace some of the bad sugars I use now on a daily basis.
Honey has no virtues over any other sugar. All added sweeteners are detrimental. Just how harmful nobody knows for sure.

Reaction score
I love cranberry a lot especially the peach flavored cranberry juice and as such there is always a few bottle in stock at home and i have found it to be very effective in controlling urinary tract infections

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried cranberry juice, but I heard that it's very healthy. I often eat dried cranberries, they make a great snack:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some people can drink cranberry juice just as it is, but I have to add a little sweetener to mine as I find it to have a bitter taste. I noticed that cranberries take on a sweeter taste when they are dried out, but my guess is that there is sugar added to them before they are sold in stores. I have never tried to dry my own before.

Ask a Question