Cooling off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Deborahjane. :) Unfortunately the island is still suffering the effects of recession and the housing market is very slow to get going again. If we don't sell quickly then we could be in for a long haul. Some properties have been on the market almost three years. It must be heart breaking for the owners and I hope I we don't have the same problem. We are in a fairly good position as we intend to sell here first, so there's no on going house chain. We also have room for manoeuvre regarding lowering the price if necessary, so fingers crossed.

Although I'm English I've always felt an emotional attachment to Scotland. I love it's history and have made a study of that down the years. :)

I hope your sister has good weather when she returns, it's not been a good year so far in Britain.

Reaction score
I like to cool off by drinking some nice iced tea, not very often tho, because I need to watch what I eat ;) To be honest I dislike this time of the year, if it wasn't for gardening I'd hate it. My right arm is already tanned, it looks like it someone else's arm already, lol. Funny, because I try to go out only when it's truy necesary (when the weather is like this).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I work outdoors a lot. Thus I drink a lot from bottled water, lemonade, and pop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I hate ther hot summer weather, Ya I know hate is a strong word but that is just how I feel these days. I look back on my life and wonder what was so different in my child hood when we worked putting up the hay for thre cattle to feed on in the winter.
I do remember back in those days we would get a watermelon some times and put in the spring fed cattle water tank. the over flow went into a second tank where Mom got water to use in her garden. but we boys would strip down when evening came and take a dip in the tank.

Today being old and fat with no AC in the house and it gets above 80 you will find me mid day sitting in front of a big floor box fan wearing a thong sitting in my recliner.
I see no reason for summer temps to get above 75F at all. Temps above 85 are totaly useless and should be banned.

I love winter, can always add clothing to stay warm when out side. a good excuse to add more wood in the wood burner too.
Best of all the perfect time to make a big kettle of soup or stew.

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Omg, we only use our air conditioning when it becomes unbearable. Mid 90 and humid. And then it is set at 78.
I also set my AC to 78, feels fine to me, but then again I'm always outside, so anything below 100+ deg heat index is nice, especially after a long bike ride on open roads:)

It's been a fairly hot summer on the cloudless days, thankfully we had a fair amount of rain. Lately, I've been noticing that sunrise has been later and later, but the sun still felt hot, until just last week when we had another round of rains, followed by just cloudy days -- the cloudy days probably a result of Hurricanes Marco & Laura.

Now the sun is starting to pop out to reheat the earth, but I've noticed that its power is somewhat subdued, thanks to its less direct rays. Fall is coming.

I guess I better get on the ball and start my fall/winter garden.

Ask a Question