Cooling off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It seems like just yesterday we were all complaining about the cold winter weather, but now summer is here and the weather is beautiful! This weekend it is supposed to be in the 80s where I live, so it is now time to pull out the fans and air conditioner. What do you all do to cool off when the weather is hot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
What do you all do to cool off when the weather is hot?
Fans are all I can afford around here.

But I am glad the high temperatures season has gone around here, now it is time to enjoy ideal climate.

My fans are off till late spring... :coffee:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I work outside a lot in summer and hot plus humid makes me very unhappy; I don't enjoy that sort of weather one bit! But I just grit my teeth and bear it anyway.

In the house no central AC, just a window unit in the bedroom. Lots of trees on the west and south sides of the house so the shade helps, and I have window fans too.

Dogs get walks and little hikes early mornings while it's cool. That's when I'm more likely to be playing in the garden too. Best time to water anyhow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I do have central air but I wait so long for summer that I just can't bear the thought of using it unless it is too hot to sleep.

I fast walk through stores with a/c. A lot of people think I was born with a cardigan on!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do have central air but I wait so long for summer that I just can't bear the thought of using it unless it is too hot to sleep.

I fast walk through stores with a/c. A lot of people think I was born with a cardigan on!

LOL. I used to be a whole lot more tolerant of heat but I swear menopause changed my thermostat. Now I just hate it and anything over 75 F and 50% humidity has me unhappy. In winter I'm happy! Bring on the minus 20s; that doesn't bother me at all and I frequently go barefoot in the snow. Like you (but different) I have a reputation as the lady who doesn't at all mind crazy cold temperatures.

Probably good I don't have central air and I don't use the window unit much. I do my best to not be wimpy and cope with our hot damp days without AC. I do take more showers in summer for sure though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We turn our AC on about noon this time of year. The mornings, although humid, are tolerable. After we have done our outside stuff (picking veggies, cleaning the chickens' coop, and some weeding) we are ready to go inside, close the windows and have lunch without sweating.
When I feel hot, damp, and unhappy, I just think of the hours I spent shoveling snow up north, and going inside to thaw out a bit. Amazing how that makes me appreciate our warmer climate here in Texas!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We do not have any extremes here although some like to have airconditioners in their homes. We have fans and 31 windows with cross ventilation :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are still on the chilly side, but to cool off we open all the windows in the early morning, closed them around noon, and turned on all the ceiling fans in the house. If the weather ever got up to the 90s, then we put in the window air conditioner units.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We have just had our first week of winter and it's hard to imagine trying to cool down. [I do realize winter here is not like the winters a lot of you forum guys experience but I guess it is all relative].
Our house is unbearable in the really hot weather. Cathedral ceilings and a tin roof so really soaks up the heat. We have a couple of ceiling fans, one of which works well in the bedroom and air-con in the lounge room but we do try to keep it to minimal use. It works hard and we also have power outages in the heatwaves because of the extra demand on electricity. We tend to have a few days of heat and then it cools down a tad. Melbourne has a reputation of being able to turn on the 4 seasons in one day. Summer heat in mid 30's is, from memory [I grew up with imperial but Australia changed to metric on the 14th of February 1966....I'm singing that as it was an advertising ditty on black and white tv:whistle:] is equal to mid 90'sF . We have heat waves of 43-44 degrees and coupled with high winds it is pretty scary fire danger time. We live in the bush so it is something we are very aware of. We all have to have a fire plan, ours is grab the pets and evacuate, but there is a lot of emphasis on making that decision in time. At present with the cold and the rain it's time to relax in front of the open fire.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's no such thing as hot here. The maximum temperature during summer is approximately 21C/70F

I spent many of my formative years on the Isle of Skye in the inner Hebrides. Wild wild weather and 70F was a heatwave. Nowadays anything over 75F is too hot for my liking. It's 83 right now and the window fans are going. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I love Scotland @Beth_B and have put my house on the market today to move there. :) My husband and I are retiring and love the highlands but we'll be moving to Galloway to stay close to the island, my elder daughter and her family still live here. As you say the weather can be wild and temperatures less than hot but like yourself I prefer a cooler climate anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good luck with the sale of your house Sheal. Hope it happens quickly for you as having your house on show can be a bit stressful. My lovely neighbors are doing just that at present but only 2 weeks in they have some serious contenders, not that I want them to move. We have stepping stones between our houses. Not sure whether I'll leave them once they have moved but I'll have to give the news neighbors a chance,won't i? I really am very sad that they are going:( but I must be happy for them:) and it is exciting for them(y)....down sizing, moving to the sea and traveling around Australia in a caravan.
Just checked out Galloway on Google. Looks lovely. Scotland does look wonderful. I've mainly seen it when Billy Connelly did his show on Scotland. My sister and her husband are about to return there and staying at Balmoral. She breeds Scottish highland cattle and managed to get an invite to visit there on their last trip whilst at a Scottish highland show. She has a great photo of her in the magnificent Scottish farmland with all the absolutely magnificent Scottish Highlands around her. She is very excited!!!!:LOL:

Last edited:

Ask a Question