Cooking or fun?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Plus, freshly harvested herbs are so much more flavorful and fragrant and potent than those purchased in most stores and can be harvested as needed. So you can have your herb plants and eat them too.:)
Most herbs that are sold in stores are grown to be resistant to bruising and wilting. Since it's not a very big concern for anyone that is growing their own herbs at home because they will pick them when ever they need them. The variants we grow at home are infinitely more aromatic and better tasting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think they are primarily grown for cooking. Some people also use herbs for medicinal aspects. I know a variety of herbs are used to treat various ailments. I think it is up to you as to how you want to use your herbs, whether for color, eating, or other physical aspects. Herbs can be used for a variety of functions.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
All herbs are useful for cooking and health remedies. I don't see the point planting something that you would not use.

In my opinion, people who plant for fun would eventually make use of what they planted; it's only a matter of time to find the use for them.

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have used herbs medicinally and for cooking for many years. I love to grow all that I can. After relocating from a cold snowy place to a hot sunny place, it's like starting over though. It took me years to figure out the best growing methods for the Utah cold, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do in this sweltering heat! Reading through the comments here makes me really want to grow a lot more herbs! any suggestions for hot weather growing for herbs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I started growing my herb and its convenient and freshness is guaranteed ! I am planning to introduce more types of mine and basil. Basil in Zone 10 is real challenge. Hope I make it

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
It is lovely if you have lino or stone floors to pick mint and scatter it as they did in the old days.

Ask a Question