Cooking or fun?

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
It all started because I love to put peppermint to my lemonade (and my mothers loves the tea. The mints were an obvious addition also for lemonade. (We make a lot of lemonade because we own a huge lemon tree which is 30 years old at least and two stories high) we got Hierba santa for cooking traditional dishes. Then I got the chamolile because that is my favorite tea. Basil was my mothers idea because it supposedly deters fruit flies (it kinda does). We already had a rosemary my father got so I decided to add thyme and marjoram for cooking. Oregano was the obvious next. Now lemon balm for tea (because my boyfriend claims it helps him sleep). And if I add more is because I love caring for them and I'm kind of a collector and I'm quite fond of them. But yes, now that we have them I love to use them all for cooking and for their fragrance and beauty (rosemary is constantly flowering and I let if because the tiny flowers are very pretty).
We use a lot of cilantro and parsley for cooking and I always hated to buy big bunches in the supermarket to use just a bit and the rest were wasted so we added them.
Wonder what should I add next.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Interesting @NatalieW that your a herbalist. Just been diagnosed with RA (not surprised) its a slow moving type. The medication my doctor wants me on had too many side effects, and after reading saw others have to start other medications to counter act the side effects, that is not acceptable to me. I am big on seeking out herbs and other items for illnesses. So, so far I am putting together some herbs for my RA, and they are Boswellia, Turmeric , but wondering about Thunder God Root, the later I might take at a small amount. Of course there is the fish oil and the Glucosamine and Hyaluroinic Acid and Vit. D3. Let me know what you think? thanks.
Esther, if you take turmeric, make sure you're taking it properly or your body won't be able to fully absorb it.... it should be taken with a fat (oil) or black pepper if taken medicinally. ... how are you planning on using the Thunder God root? Generally, you can do up to 500 mg a day but it needs to be for a short period of time... about 3 weeks, then stop. ... you can also rub the extract into your skin where you need it. When I help people directly, I usually have them fill out forms so I know more about them and then I can offer safe advice. Feel free to send me a message.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes. taking the turmeric medically. I am sure with the buttered toast in the morning that will take care of the fat. Or I can take it in the evening with some olive oil. Or the eggs i have in the morning with olive oil will do for the turmeric. Also the fish oil will help. I was planning to orally take the TGR in pill form, but its still a consideration. Started on Boswellia instead. I think there is too many side effects to Thunder God Root so I might send the bottle back, but jury is still out, still doing research. Thanks @NatalieW .

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Yes. taking the turmeric medically. I am sure with the buttered toast in the morning that will take care of the fat. Or I can take it in the evening with some olive oil. Or the eggs i have in the morning with olive oil will do for the turmeric. Also the fish oil will help. I was planning to orally take the TGR in pill form, but its still a consideration. Started on Boswellia instead. I think there is too many side effects to Thunder God Root so I might send the bottle back, but jury is still out, still doing research. Thanks @NatalieW .
you're welcome ... I agree on Thunder God Root, you would want it in small amounts if you did take it ... a lot of people see big improvements just using turmeric ...it's amazing.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Plus, freshly harvested herbs are so much more flavorful and fragrant and potent than those purchased in most stores and can be harvested as needed. So you can have your herb plants and eat them too.:)
Most herbs that are sold in stores are grown to be resistant to bruising and wilting. Since it's not a very big concern for anyone that is growing their own herbs at home because they will pick them when ever they need them. The variants we grow at home are infinitely more aromatic and better tasting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think they are primarily grown for cooking. Some people also use herbs for medicinal aspects. I know a variety of herbs are used to treat various ailments. I think it is up to you as to how you want to use your herbs, whether for color, eating, or other physical aspects. Herbs can be used for a variety of functions.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
All herbs are useful for cooking and health remedies. I don't see the point planting something that you would not use.

In my opinion, people who plant for fun would eventually make use of what they planted; it's only a matter of time to find the use for them.

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have used herbs medicinally and for cooking for many years. I love to grow all that I can. After relocating from a cold snowy place to a hot sunny place, it's like starting over though. It took me years to figure out the best growing methods for the Utah cold, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do in this sweltering heat! Reading through the comments here makes me really want to grow a lot more herbs! any suggestions for hot weather growing for herbs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I started growing my herb and its convenient and freshness is guaranteed ! I am planning to introduce more types of mine and basil. Basil in Zone 10 is real challenge. Hope I make it

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
It is lovely if you have lino or stone floors to pick mint and scatter it as they did in the old days.

Ask a Question