Composting methods

Reaction score
Should I protect it from feral cats and raccoons?

I have a raccoon that has me and the neighbors on his nightly rounds of rummaging for food. I keep a weight on top of my garbage can and I hear him shaking it from time to time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Should I protect it from feral cats and raccoons?

I have a raccoon that has me and the neighbors on his nightly rounds of rummaging for food. I keep a weight on top of my garbage can and I hear him shaking it from time to time.

In that case you may want to use a metal can that you partially bury, unless you think you can keep the raccoon out. I made my compost bin from a blue storage bin, but I saw something recently that might work for you: http://pinterest.com/pin/321796335844834885/

Reaction score
Thanks, Chanell! That's an excellent solution. I can even use some type of strapping or bungee cords to keep it closed. I will be using this method.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're welcome! Let me know how it works out, I've been thinking of trying the buried can method for "solar digesting" of some of the stuff that can't be put into the regular compost. I was also thinking of using the buried can method to create a fish based compost/fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When we first began composting, we used an inexpensive plastic garbage can with ventilation holes. It was fairly high maintenance. We needed to wet and turn it frequently and had problems maintaining the correct amount of moisture.

We currently have a round open-air bin that we contructed from wooden posts and chicken wire. It works great for us. My mother, on the other hand, has several large compost piles that she maintains. It takes longer to compost completely, but I believe her piles produce a better quality compost.

What method do you use?
i have a section coming out from the fence in the backyard. It's not in any container. But we did put small walls up around it.

Ask a Question