Composting methods

Reaction score
When we first began composting, we used an inexpensive plastic garbage can with ventilation holes. It was fairly high maintenance. We needed to wet and turn it frequently and had problems maintaining the correct amount of moisture.

We currently have a round open-air bin that we contructed from wooden posts and chicken wire. It works great for us. My mother, on the other hand, has several large compost piles that she maintains. It takes longer to compost completely, but I believe her piles produce a better quality compost.

What method do you use?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I use a plastic one for the kitchen waste, which can get into a sticky wet mess, so i've started including layers of crumpled cardboard to make a drier heap, and also improve the Carbon to Nitrogen ratio. (Kitchen waste produces more Nitrogen usually)

Reaction score
That is the same problem we had with the plastic garbage can. We added as much "brown" material as possible, but it still ended up being a big wet mess. We ended up with maggots :eek:, so we decided to try a more open method!

Reaction score
Why not introduce earthworms into your compost bins. Vermicompost is better than the normal compost - isn't it? and the work will get done faster. I have earthworms in my small earthen compost bin.. it seems to work well for me..
I always add a few sheets of newspaper to the bottom of the bin to avoid any messy leakage.

Reaction score
I thought about trying the trash bin composting method, but was worried about the "wet mess" that could happen. Now that we are in an area where I can start a compost pile I'm thinking about going with an open air pile. I was thinking chicken wire on a wooden frame, like the one you described, Manda.

I do have a question though, Does the chicken wire work well at keeping the pile together?

dim

Reaction score
I have 2 full bins at the moment and will start the 3rd next week ... this is the 1st time that I am attempting to make compost ... (luckily, I get veg peelings/fruit from a pub who's garden I maintain, and if I take peelings everyday, I can fill a dalek compost bin in a week (plus I add 2 small bags of shetland pony poo for the carbon ... it is 50% poo and 50% hay) .... I'm hoping that the 1st bin will be ready in July/august

I recently saw this youtube video, where a guy pees on his compost in 5 gallon buckets, and manages to make compost in under 30 days ... he does add some wood ash though which most probably assists ... I don't add pee to mine and will let nature take it's course:

dim

Reaction score
I use a plastic one for the kitchen waste, which can get into a sticky wet mess, so i've started including layers of crumpled cardboard to make a drier heap, and also improve the Carbon to Nitrogen ratio. (Kitchen waste produces more Nitrogen usually)

I read that one should aim for a 60%-40% ratio of greens vs carbon (60% greens mixed with 40% carbons) .... that was always the problem that I had (I only started my 1st bin last year), and it mainly consisted of greens

I added cardboard but it was never the correct amount .... recently, I drove past a small farm that had sacks of manure outside the front gate with a sign saying '100% organic manure - 75p a bag'

decided to have a look, and spoke to the farmer's wife who was pulling out with her car, and the maunure is from shetland ponies which they keep on their farm .... it's still wet though, but consits of approx 50% manure and 50% hay (with loads of earthworms), so I have added that to my bins (bargain!) .... the hay will increase the carbon ration of my bins

I have also got a contact number of a guy who breeds and sells rabbits .... from what I have read, rabbit manure is very good (the only manure that beats it is vermicompost (worm poo)), so I will give him a call soon, and add some of that to my bins

so my compost, will be a blend of compost and manure, and I'm hoping that it will be good

I'm hoping to use some for my compost tea brews later this year

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new at composting, I have been grounding up the kitchen greens, coffee grounds, tea leafs and mixing the brew into the soil is this good?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just can't get with animal manure. What's another source of carbon?

I have been using kitchen scraps, coffee grinds, paper, leaves, garden "weeds," spent potting soil, and the occasional egg shell.

I am new at composting, I have been grounding up the kitchen greens, coffee grounds, tea leafs and mixing the brew into the soil is this good?

Yes Pat it is a good start. There are a lot of different methods. Here are a couple links you might find useful:

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en-US/Garden/Pages/homemade-kitchen-compost.aspx
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/home-composting-basics

I shared this graphic once before, but I can't remember which thread so here it is again:

2dbd8d9b8e0f75058f038a404b2c3b3e.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

ROFLOL! Well, at least cardboard is readily available enough. Good thing I took another look at that graphic above; it says leaves will do the trick!

Reaction score
I think when using a plastic bucket inside for your kitchen scraps you should empty it daily to avoid maggots and stink. My mother dumps hers into the bigger pile daily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think when using a plastic bucket inside for your kitchen scraps you should empty it daily to avoid maggots and stink. My mother dumps hers into the bigger pile daily.

How would you have maggots? Maggots come from flies which lay eggs in dead animals and you don't compost meats. Besides, how many people have hoards of flies in their house? All indoor compost containers have lids. You wither keep them in the fridge, freezer, or under the sink with the lid on.

Reaction score
Will I need to have a compost area away from neighbors? Will it stink badly? My neighbors' homes are pretty close, so I'm concerned about where I could place it in the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Will I need to have a compost area away from neighbors? Will it stink badly? My neighbors' homes are pretty close, so I'm concerned about where I could place it in the yard.

It's best to have your compost bin away from doors and windows because they can attract small insects (because of the kitchen scraps). There really is no issue with smell unless you are doing something wrong. When you add fruit rinds and such to the compost, you should be covering it up. City gardeners should always compost in a bin of some kind.

Ask a Question