Composting mash

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have a PHD in handiology
Country
United States
Alrighty. So as I said in my intro thread, I am fairly new to the whole composting thing. I've had a pretty good start on it. But am curious to know if we have any other home brewers that compost their mash.

I brew my own beer and wine and have my home distillers license. Would there be any negative impacts of using the solid leftover grains from beer and fruits from wine in my compost pile? Should I boil them before adding to my compost to kill off the yeast? Will the trace amount of ethanol in the mash be an issue? If I boiled it all the ethanol and minute amounts of fusial oils would evaporate. Or it should anyway.

Yeah, I'm kind of at a loss here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mash will be great. The yeast will only add to the bacteria count and the small amount of alcohol wont matter at all. I have been pouring stale beer into my pile for years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have a PHD in handiology
Country
United States
Ok. Thank you.

What about the tailings from my distilate? Other than the grains there's a bunch of oils and nasties left in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. Thank you.

What about the tailings from my distilate? Other than the grains there's a bunch of oils and nasties left in it.
I think I would make a separate pile out of that. Oils seem to suffocate microbes. Most oils break down after a time

Ask a Question