Composting and a bad back

Reaction score
Country
United States
Am I able to make good compost by selecting an area to bury kitchen, lawn and leaf scraps without turning it over? I have two plots: one active and one resting until needed.
Thank you.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sure you can. It just takes longer without turning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Am I able to make good compost by selecting an area to bury kitchen, lawn and leaf scraps without turning it over? I have two plots: one active and one resting until needed.
Thank you.
Sure, and consider making a depression in the pile to collect all rain water possible.
I have a wire cage about 2 ft. diameter I dump kitchen veg waste in and it sets in the same place for 1 year which turns the soil black and that's where I plant a tomato plant. The cage is moved to a new location close by in preparation for a plant the following year with some kitchen waste still clinging in the wire cage. Composting just can't get any simpler than that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I never turn compost, I just bury and forget. My whole yard is a compost pile, because I'm collecting yard waste this time of year, every year. My yard is like a forest floor and I just throw my kitchen waste under the mulch.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hot composting is overrated.
Hot composting is somewhat effective against fungal pathogens but cannot be relied on to eliminate them. Trichoderma is a fungus that feeds on harmful fungi and the best way to control harmful fungi is to have an overabundance of this beneficial fungi. And the best way to grow Trichoderma is to incorporate whole ground cornmeal into your compost pile and place it around the base of your plants. Whole Ground Cornmeal or horticultural cornmeal is the favorite growing medium of this fungi. All soils already have Trichoderma in them but many times not enough to control all of the harmful fungi so adding cornmeal will always be beneficial.

Ask a Question