Compost Tea?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How many are using Compost Tea as a Fertilizer?

I was just reading I guess it is more than just a Compost Tea but they took a Barrle with weeds,grass clippings, house scraps ,guts and just about anything, water and let ferment couple weeks. Then just pour around plants.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Whatever actually dissolves into the water should be a plant available nutrient. Plus it will add microbes to the soil. I don't know about pouring it directly on the plant though. I don't.

I use chicken poop manure tea rarely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whatever actually dissolves into the water should be a plant available nutrient. Plus it will add microbes to the soil. I don't know about pouring it directly on the plant though. I don't.

I use chicken poop manure tea rarely.
This guy was just pouring it on the rows. Seen another one he was using buckets and just pouring it.

I have 3 regular Compost Bins.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you don't need the plant available nutrient at that exact point in time, I think I would either compost it for later use (late Winter) or throw it out there and till it under.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No, not used here...seems like too much trouble to me compared to good applications of compost and then letting Nature do the rest through the growing period.

I do apply fish emulsion mixed per the product as my only growing season fertilizer on certain veggies. I guess you could call it "fish tea."

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The method you described, involving fermenting a mix of organic materials in water, is closer to an "anaerobic compost tea" or "fermented plant extract." This approach doesn't involve active aeration, allowing the mixture to become anaerobic (devoid of oxygen).

Benefits & Considerations Both aerated compost tea and the anaerobic version can benefit plants by providing them with nutrients. However, there are several factors to consider:
  • Odor: Anaerobic processes can lead to strong, often unpleasant odors, which may be unsuitable for some settings, especially densely populated areas.
  • Pathogens: The absence of aeration means there's a risk of harmful bacteria multiplying. It's crucial to ensure the brew is safe and free of harmful pathogens before using it on edible plants.
  • Application: Typically, these teas are diluted with water before use. The dilution rate varies based on the specific materials and the purpose of application.
Safety First For those making their own fermented extracts or compost teas, safety should be a top priority. If you're using kitchen scraps or any potentially risky materials, it might be safer to use the solution on ornamental plants rather than edibles.

In essence, while these organic solutions are becoming staples in sustainable gardening, they should be used with an understanding of their advantages and potential pitfalls. Proper preparation and application are essential for the best outcomes !! Cheers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is more called Swamp Water Fertilizer.

And from what I was reading you don't want to use it before Harvest.

I was thinking of fermenting in Barrels with Lids.

I have couple other Organic Fertilizer that I want to use up before this.

Or maybe I should just stick with the Organic Fertilizer?

big rockpile

Ask a Question