Compost tea question

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hi folks,
Barney here,im’e a novice on here in terms of gardening experience. I live in the Philippines and banana’s are a big part of the diet
here. To make full use of the availability of my banana peel i placed them in water and allowed to LEACHfor more than a week at
the back of the refridgerator. The Leaching produced some very dark strong banana tea. I diluted the banana tea 15x1 for safety . It
is stormed outside in a shaded area in a large sealed plastic container with a screwed on cap. My question is can someone offer me
advice about How long my tea may be safe to store before spoiling. Sorry to be so long winded I would be gratefull for any
Commen. Barney

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is for compost tea and not human consumption? If so you are defeating yourself with good intentions. To draw a parallel between using molasses in water and the banana compost tea I would call on @Chuck for a reasonable explanation and suggest that high sugar content will give you a lot of bacteria, which is good for short term plants. If nothing else, over time, hyphae will develop if you keep feeding, and this will provide a longer term enrichment of your soil. This is not for potted plants or constructed environments though. Just actual soil. One confusion is sealing the jars. You should bubble them with at least an aquarium pump. Why? Because roots need oxygen just like you do, and they are down the dirt. The biology they like to interact with also likes oxygen. Mostly the oxygen action is in the first few inches of soil. Still, if its packed and hard, it can be a breathing problem. Thats one thing the tea will help with if it is notbeing sterilized like you are doing. The biology loosens the soil. It too needs oxygen, and will work for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi folks,
Barney here,im’e a novice on here in terms of gardening experience. I live in the Philippines and banana’s are a big part of the diet
here. To make full use of the availability of my banana peel i placed them in water and allowed to LEACHfor more than a week at
the back of the refridgerator. The Leaching produced some very dark strong banana tea. I diluted the banana tea 15x1 for safety . It
is stormed outside in a shaded area in a large sealed plastic container with a screwed on cap. My question is can someone offer me
advice about How long my tea may be safe to store before spoiling. Sorry to be so long winded I would be gratefull for any
Commen. Barney
You would be much better off by drying the peels, grinding them up and adding to the soil or by composting them and making an aerated compost tea. By doing this you will receive full benefit of the peels. You will have added microbes to the soil, both bacterial and fungal, plus what residual NPK there is in the peels. By soaking the peels in water and then sealing it up you have effectively killed the bacterial and fungal microbes. You have made an anaerobic environment in which nothing is still alive. All you have left is the amount of NPK that has leached out of the peels. Fresh bananna peels have an NPK value of about 0.5 - 0.5 - 12.0 In other words, very little nitrogen and phosphorous and a lot of potassium. You will end up with less than this by soaking in water and you have no way of knowing the numbers. I don't know how long the available NPK will last in this situation as this is something I would not do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi folks,
Commen. Barney
I wouldn't limit myself to banana peels, take plants that you know collect a lot of nutrients, such as plants with long tap roots. I also wouldn't worry too much about it spoiling, check out this guy's videos where he makes anaerobic teas, he doesn't mess with aeration or anything like that and his mix can sit a long time before he uses it. He usually mixes it at about 4:1 ratio, give or take.

BTW, he calls his tea, Dave's Fetid Swamp Water (DFSW). Just so you know as you're watching his videos.

Very short videos and to the point.

Ask a Question