Climbing rose "zephrine drouhin "

Jab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Im new to this group as well as gardening. I got zephrine climbing rose. I removed all the dead and infected leaves. Potted in a big wide pot with miracle gro potting mix and espoma rose tone fertilizer. Its on my patio. Its gets good sunlight and i water it every other day. It has good drainage. I check for pests everyday. Plant looks healthy but it only keeps growing green foliage and no buds.. its been 2 months since i got. What should i do? What am i missing? Do i need to prune? Please help. Thank you!!
20230826_111708.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you plant your rose in that indoor potting mix, it has a 9-month slow-release fertilizer mixed in the potting mix. That means there's a lot of nitrogen in the mix and the plant's productivity is going towards growing foliage. There's nothing you can do without knocking the nutrient sequence out of wack. Just keep watering it and allowing the plant to use up the excess nitrogen and with plenty of Sun it may still bloom. It's still young and It looks good at this point so I would just let it be and be patient. In a month it may bloom!

Jab

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you plant your rose in that indoor potting mix, it has a 9-month slow-release fertilizer mixed in the potting mix. That means there's a lot of nitrogen in the mix and the plant's productivity is going towards growing foliage. There's nothing you can do without knocking the nutrient sequence out of wack. Just keep watering it and allowing the plant to use up the excess nitrogen and with plenty of Sun it may still bloom. It's still young and It looks good at this point so I would just let it be and be patient. In a month it may bloom!
Yes! May be that is the problem.. so I dont have to fertilize till next spring?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes! May be that is the problem.. so I dont have to fertilize till next spring?
I would wait until next Spring and take a look and see how the plant is growing. Its really hard to know until then. Keep doing what you are doing with your water management and keep the plant healthy. The plant will show you signs when it's time to fertilize but not now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
No. I wanted to have it in my patio. So i can't plant in the ground.. why ? The plant wont survive in pot?
As you said that I looked at where your from, I know a pot will be colder in the winter for the plant than in the ground. If you keep it in the pot through the winter outside--which it should stay outside then perhaps some insulation around the pot would be good for it.

Jab

Reaction score
Country
United States
As you said that I looked at where your from, I know a pot will be colder in the winter for the plant than in the ground. If you keep it in the pot through the winter outside--which it should stay outside then perhaps some insulation around the pot would be good for it.
Oh.. i was planning to mulch it and also tie it around with burlap.. is ther anything else i can do?

Ask a Question