Clematis?

Reaction score
HI,

I am wondering what you all think about this idea for my fence. I was told Clematis grow rather fast. So, I bought one lonely little plant....just to try it. It was six dollars so I bought only one to see if it was going to actually grow under my care!

Can anyone tell me what I should do to make sure it grows up healthy? Do I need to do anything in particular for it? I planted it with some of the dirt I bought from the farm store and it has nutrients in it. But should I do more?

This is my first attempt at a vine type of plant. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jo

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I feed my clematis with tomato feed Jo.But Honeysuckle grow much faster and dont need to do anything .

Good luck.

dim

Reaction score
keep the root area shaded (place a rock near the base to block the sun, but dont cover the planting hole) ....

pinch the growing tip off, so as to encourage new sideshoots ....

water well (deep) once or twice a week during the growing season, and dont overwater, and don't overfertilize ....

don't expect rapid growth in the 1st year .... some people say that when you plant a clematis, you should plant it 4 inches deeper than the pot it was bought in, and make sure that you choose a clematis that suits the aspect of where it is to be planted (sun, semi-shade etc)

it's also good to plant several different clematis along a fence/wall that flower at different times of the year, with contrasting flower colours aswell as one or two evergreen ones .... here is a good site that I often use to choose/decide which to plant:

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/

(if you choose carefully, a combination of 7 different clematis planted on a fence or wall will provide colour /flowers for nearly all 12 months of the year)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I had a friend that raised the most beautiful clematis, and she gave me a start of it to grow. She told me that she always planted a ground cover type of plant at the base of the clematis. When she gave me the start, she also included a start of the ground cover, and it works really well. The ground cover keeps the bottom of the clematis shaded, and the top then grows up into the sunny area so it can blossom.

Ask a Question