Chives

Reaction score
what or how are your chives planted tmann .I love chives and cylantro too with fresh bread as a dip hmmmm hmmmm good
I took some out of my landscaping that had seeded themselves where I did not want them, cleaned all the dirt off the roots and just wedged them in between some rocks in my creek. The chives in the creek do not have the round hollow leaves, but are slightly wider and flatter. Not sure why this is.

j.w

Reaction score
Someone on garden web posted that they put caladium bulbs in a pot a few inches under water. Said they came up strong and brightened up the pond.
They need shade tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
no shade by my pond for them but do have caladiums planted out by the porch where they get more shade.Maybe your chives did that because of the amount of water or maybe there are different varieties> I tried elepahant ears just out side the pond and will try them this year and went over today and got some smaller lotus shoots so will see if aggie manages to pull them out and kill them if she does then they will go in the stock tank

j.w

Reaction score
Wait I just read that there are Caladium's that can take full sun........Called Red Flash Caladium! Maybe there are more..................I'm going to look for some for my pond. You can take them indoors in winter as a houseplant.

j.w

Reaction score
Ok found some more that can take sun................ Fortunately, there are several cultivars that do well in full sun, providing the plants get good moisture. Some of the fancy-leaved selections that do well are: Aaron (white); Carolyn Whorton (pink with red veins); Florida Elise (pink); Florida Sweetheart (rose & my favorite); and Red Flash (red). The lance types that are okay in the sun are: Miss Muffet (chartreuse with red spots); Gingerland (white with red spots); and Red Frill (red). Good luck in creating a rainbow of colors with these cultivars.

j.w

Reaction score
Ok now read on pond forum that sissy said they are poison to fish all parts and looked online and yes they say so also so I will not put in pond w/ fish! Also read that Red Maple leaves are poison to fish too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have them and may be good in sun to a certain point but not in Virginia sun .I bought several this past week at lowes 2 dollars for 5 in a bag .I got some at florida hill nursery.com 5.95 and pay shipping on 1 get shipping on 4 more items free .They have a great selection and I got my mini elephant there also and a new banana plant

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 018.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 018.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 432
  • pee house pond 2012 027.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 027.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 395
  • pee house pond 2012 026.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 026.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 419
  • pee house pond 2012 011.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 011.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 370

j.w

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too but not sure if the whole thing is in water or just those others in their own water pots. Kinda looks like Nasturtiums too.

j.w

Reaction score
Aha so keep it contained in a pond or tub. Does it grow on dry land also? I've seen something a lot smaller in my grass that is a weed that looks similar.

Ask a Question