Carnivorous bog plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy are these in another bog you have? Didn't notice any gravel like your other bog.
They are in a dirt bog, peat moss and sand. They love acidic water, which we have tons of.
I do have two pitcher plants in the pond bog, one is the cobra, it likes running water, the other is a ruba, so far it has done well. Does not grow as well as the land pitchers, but does grow.

They like to go from wet to dry to wet to dry (somewhat dry not real dry)
If we get lots of rain they tend to stay wet, but our summers have been hot and dry so I have been hose watering them. This year they have done fine on their own so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a special interest in carnivorous plants. I think they are a great idea for mosquito control. I ordered a little kit to grow a venus flytrap, but the instructions were so complicated I never tried to do it. Even though I have had it a couple years, I am tempted to see if it is still any good. Any advice?

Reaction score
wow those plants look real cool. I always thought they were out in the wild.. never knew anyone who grew them.. Cool :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have these, waiting to see if they all come back or not

flava yellow
flava ornata
swaniana
catesbaei
rubra
minor
flava
purpurea green
dana
Scarlette Belle
Judith Hindle
Purpurea red
Tarnock
drosera filiformis
venus fly trap

The one I saved has done fine.
I just saw today my cobra pitcher plant is coming back.

internet pictures:

35_pd959359_1.jpg

35_pd959359_3.jpg

very difficult one to keep growing, I have it in running water in the bog, similar to what it likes. I saw little leaves coming up........So excited!

That's amazing! How did you get into bog plants? How long did it take you to become successful at growing them? Any tips for growing a venus fly trap?

Reaction score
I was reading up on the "Sarracenia" or the Pitcher Plant. It's a very interesting outdoor plant that feeds off of insects. I was wondering if they can be grown indoors but according to the article, they are sturdy, outdoor plants that do OK in cold weather. The article mentioned that the Pitcher Plant would go dormant a couple months during the winter but that is normal.

Here's the article, if anyone cares to read it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ha! Just what I need another excuse to get more plants! I have a special interest in carnivorous plants as an aid in mosquito control. Do you think it could work?

Reaction score
I am going to try some carnivorous bog plants this year. I have not decided if I am going to put them in my bog that feeds my pond or build another much smaller one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Addy, your plants are so beautiful, they look so exotic to me! I especially like the Yellow pitcher plant, I'm pretty sure I've never seen it before. But I must say I feel very sorry for the insects they eat:(

Reaction score
Addy, your plants are so beautiful, they look so exotic to me! I especially like the Yellow pitcher plant, I'm pretty sure I've never seen it before. But I must say I feel very sorry for the insects they eat:(

I know, right? I think pitcher plants are gorgeous, even Venus flytraps have an alien kind of beauty but I find the actual photos and videos of them eating insects a little hard to look at.
I saw a photo on Pinterest of a huge, wild carnivorous plant eating a little green frog and I felt sorry for the frog. But everything that lives has to eat something, so we can't blame the plants for trying to survive.

I wonder if Venus flytraps eat mosquitoes. Like ChanellG, I also freaking hate mosquitoes and here in Florida during the summer, a plant could eat its fill of mosquitoes if in fact they do eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know, we can't blame the plant - this word is just so twisted in so many ways - but it hurts me to think about it and for sure I wouldn't be able to look at it even though I hate insects.
In my area mosquitoes are a problem too because I live on an island, we are surrounded by the water. This is why I sleep under a mosquito net:p

Ask a Question