Care for rose plants.My rose plants are out of shape?

Reaction score
I've been growing them for almost four years now and I always keep them on a windowsill in my room. During previous years everything was fine, so I don't think that they don't enough light.
But it's possible that I was over watering them. Now, I do this less often, but they still don't look good and don't grow:(

Well it can't be the lighting since they've been there for years... and obviously you've been watering them the same way for years. I'm kinda stumped. Could they possibly be outgrowing their pots and need a bigger size? If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Keep us up to date on it. BTW have you asked in the other forums on this site? Seems I've seen others here with miniature rose experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well it can't be the lighting since they've been there for years... and obviously you've been watering them the same way for years. I'm kinda stumped. Could they possibly be outgrowing their pots and need a bigger size? If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Keep us up to date on it. BTW have you asked in the other forums on this site? Seems I've seen others here with miniature rose experience.
Yes, I talk about my miniatures almost all the time;)
When some of my roses started losing leaves, I transplanted most of them, so now, they don't need bigger pots. I don't know what is wrong with them, it's one big mystery:(

Reaction score
Yes, I talk about my miniatures almost all the time;)
When some of my roses started losing leaves, I transplanted most of them, so now, they don't need bigger pots. I don't know what is wrong with them, it's one big mystery:(

It's really frustrating when you think you're doing everything right and the plants still don't respond. I guess that's the challenge of gardening we love so much though huh? I'll check this book I have and see if there's anything I might have missed.

Reaction score
I live in Poland. I keep my roses indoors.
I don't think it's blackspot, I haven't noticed any black spots on leaves. They look healthy and they're green, but they fall off:cry: After a week or so all branches turn yellow, then brown and a whole plant dies:cry: It happened to four of my miniature roses already.
I didn't know that I shouldn't rertilize the poorly looking ones, I'll stop doing it.

From your description I would say that the reason why your roses are dying is because they are waterlogged.

Which often happens when there is not enough drainage - as unless there are plenty of drainage holes as well is plenty of drainage material in the bottom of the pot - it means that every time you water the plants - as there is nowhere for the water to escape - the amount of water sitting inside the pot actually begins to build up - to the point where the roots are permanently sitting in water - which is what causes their roots to rot - resulting in their untimely demise.

Reaction score
From your description I would say that the reason why your roses are dying is because they are waterlogged.

Which often happens when there is not enough drainage - as unless there are plenty of drainage holes as well is plenty of drainage material in the bottom of the pot - it means that every time you water the plants - as there is nowhere for the water to escape - the amount of water sitting inside the pot actually begins to build up - to the point where the roots are permanently sitting in water - which is what causes their roots to rot - resulting in their untimely demise.

Yeah good draining is essential. Hadn't thought of that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Tommyotommy - thank you! And yes, it's extremely frustrating:( I love my roses, I want them to be healthy.
Gata Montes - I've just checked it, most of my flower pots have four small drainege holes. I think it's not enough:( Before my roses started dying, I had used to water them often:cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Roses are one of my favorite flowers, but I have had problems growing them uniform as well. I learned that they have to be pruned often to make them look their best.

Reaction score
Roses are one of my favorite flowers, but I have had problems growing them uniform as well. I learned that they have to be pruned often to make them look their best.

Pruning is the least of my problems haha. The blackspot down here is awful. I bought some new spray and I'm hoping to control it ... or I should say manage it better.

Reaction score
When a rose dies after it blooms, take a pair of sheers and cut it back about 6 inches. That should help the bush to stay in shape. Make sure you aren't watering too much or too little. Proper drainage from pot or garden is important as well.
I love roses, no matter the colour, size, or what. Roses are my "nick" name sake from my father, he always called me Rosebud. Since I was little from hearing Rosebud all the time, I've always had an interest in flowers especially roses, and have wanted to learn all I can about them to grow them. I love watching them bloom, and if I ever see something off about them, I do all the research I can to figure out what is wrong.
Try pruning the dead buds back first and make sure you are watering your babies properly. I hope all turns out well for them. :)

Ask a Question