Canning question

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I only ever can pickle relish, piccalilli and jam. Never even occurred to me to use the oven to sterilize jars. I found this online and think you may find it an interesting read. I sure did. Boiling the jars and lids in water is best, I think

Yes I think what I'll do from now on is use the oven if I am just making a few jars of something that I know won't last long before I eat it all, like pickles. Big batches of stuff and jams etc that will be a long time before I eat it all, I'll use the hot water to sterilize them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I think what I'll do from now on is use the oven if I am just making a few jars of something that I know won't last long before I eat it all, like pickles. Big batches of stuff and jams etc that will be a long time before I eat it all, I'll use the hot water to sterilize them.
Did you read the part where she wrote that, if you're using the 10-minute canning method in boiling hot water ------- you really don't even need to pre-sterilize your jars? Using only clean jars, of course. I found that fascinating.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did you read the part where she wrote that, if you're using the 10-minute canning method in boiling hot water ------- you really don't even need to pre-sterilize your jars? Using only clean jars, of course. I found that fascinating.
10 minutes in boiling water is generally the method to sterilize things, bacteria can't survive it. As a survivalist, first thing you learn is boil water for 10 minutes to make it drinkable :) of course that's bacteria, it doesn't work if there is toxic stuff in the water lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Boiling water bath canning assumes there's enough acid, salt sugar in the jar.

Jelly and preserves usually have enough sugar to last forever, see honey and syrup.

Acid, like vinegar, is one heck of a disinfectant. So is salt.

Not to knock being a survivalist but, you don't have to apply that knowledge to every aspect of modern life. Sure, when the grid goes down, zombies are shopping Target and the asteroid hits, good to be prepared.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Boiling or baking the jars won't hurt anything. However, the improper method of canning whatever you have is what will likely have a negative impact on the storage life of the canned item. If something is working for you then keep at it. No need to change.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Boiling water bath canning assumes there's enough acid, salt sugar in the jar.

Jelly and preserves usually have enough sugar to last forever, see honey and syrup.

Acid, like vinegar, is one heck of a disinfectant. So is salt.

Not to knock being a survivalist but, you don't have to apply that knowledge to every aspect of modern life. Sure, when the grid goes down, zombies are shopping Target and the asteroid hits, good to be prepared.
It's nothing to do with when the grid goes down lol, I simply ment that boiling water for 10 minutes kills bacteria. I can't think of a lot of scenarios when I needed to do that but there has been times I did need to boil water while hunting/hiking miles away from a running tap. Sometimes shit happens lol.

But as far as canning I couldn't care less what you do to be honest and I mean no disrespect by that. But most people, as in almost all people boil or at least heat up the jars to at least 212f that is the boiling point of water. Maybe I am a sheeple, but I'll likely listen to the majority of knowledge rather then some random unknown dude off the internet garden forum when it comes to that lol.

Ask a Question