Can you looK at my soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been here for about 5 years and I do spray anything the previous owners maybe hard to tell I guess but I don't spray anything now some of my soil or dirt whatever you want to call it looks like this picture and I found clay type so that tells me I have a lot of work any way any advice on fixing the clay type to make the land rich again also how long would it take to build a 3 Acres I know it would be a lot of work but over time and no equipment could it be possible to fix

Attachments

• 20240409_144729.jpg
    20240409_144729.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240409_144719.jpg
    20240409_144719.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for not being clear everyone I really don't know what to do with gardening I'm jumping into this and hopefully I really enjoy it I know I will just Im used to indoors people say it's the same but to me it's not so bare with me everyone thank you all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's not bad looking dirt to me. It has some organic matter in it from the color. Just looking at soil doesn't tell you alot about what is in it such as the nutrients or the pH but it looks like a good base to start with. Better than what I started with.

If you're looking to grow a garden there, I would recommend a complete soil test. If you just want to plant a bush or a tree there then I would at least do a pH test of the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you the property has 4 fruit trees but I figured I'd start somewhere this outdoor grow is going to determine what I do this many plants I feel is going to be a big test I haven't go my beds out yet I was dealing with chicken coop first but the plants want to be outside you can see when you look at them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that your soil looks fine. it's not any different looking to the stuff I have on my 3 acres. You cannot go wrong, as Yum Yum says, with getting a soil test done, even if it's just to get the PH values.
I started with a very rough 3 acres of ground about 50 years ago, and had no equipment and hardly any money when I started gardening it. It is surprising what you can achieve though with persistence and time. It has been a wonderful and rewarding occupation over the years, and gardening in it has been a huge part of my life. One of my biggest blessings!!
The very best way to learn is by the mistakes you make - so don't let that worry you. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that your soil looks fine. it's not any different looking to the stuff I have on my 3 acres. You cannot go wrong, as Yum Yum says, with getting a soil test done, even if it's just to get the PH values.
I started with a very rough 3 acres of ground about 50 years ago, and had no equipment and hardly any money when I started gardening it. It is surprising what you can achieve though with persistence and time. It has been a wonderful and rewarding occupation over the years, and gardening in it has been a huge part of my life. One of my biggest blessings!!
The very best way to learn is by the mistakes you make - so don't let that worry you. (y)
Thank you very much for that comment definitely going to keep learning

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It is surprising what you can achieve though with persistence and time.
Yep - start small and be persistent.
I would plant herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, parsley and sage) first because they are tough, very valuable in cooking and expensive in stores.
Your soil looks alright but rake an area and plant a green manure crop - either of weeds, legumes or bird seed and turn it into the soil when its 3" high.
The herbs, green manure and weeds will tell you a lot about the nutrient content and life of your soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@planteroftress If you put photos of your progress on the forum for us to see, it may help your motivation as you will be able to check back yourself and read comments. I found that forums were good gardening company when I was working totally on my own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep - start small and be persistent.
I would plant herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, parsley and sage) first because they are tough, very valuable in cooking and expensive in stores.
Your soil looks alright but rake an area and plant a green manure crop - either of weeds, legumes or bird seed and turn it into the soil when its 3" high.
The herbs, green manure and weeds will tell you a lot about the nutrient content and life of

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan on putting cardboard when I'm done with the box
Okay.So I had to move it because that spot was just way too wet.I could probably make it work but i'm not gonna Take the time because I mean it's. It's really muddy back there so I put it on this grass part. That's not what and I move that. Once everything is done, I'll take pictures and pulse. But I don't have soil to fill it yet because I don't have the money right now but I need to hurry up. Because I gotta get these plants in the ground because my tomatoes are Really outgrown the area already.And they look like they wanna die because I gotta get amounts of pots

Ask a Question