Can I safely repot a dracaena with small new sprouts?

Azu

Reaction score
Country
United States
recently chopped an unhealthy dracaena that seriously needs to be repotted[top cutting is in water right now, and i'm not even sure if the base of the stem will grow again. currently debating cuttting it even lower to try to reach healthy tisse, as it's hollow in the spot it was cut, but not soft, and it's still quite green].

the problem is, there's small little pups in the same pot. the new sprouts look great so far. i want them to have the best chance possible at surviving and growing, and i'm not sure what to do. i've been told to leave them alone while they grow, but i know the pot is really unhealthy - there isn't even a draining hole - and i suspect i will need to clean up some root rot. is it safe to repot and clean up the roots even with these small sprouts in there?

Attachments

• IMG_9724-compressed.jpg
    IMG_9724-compressed.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 4
  • FullSizeRender-compressed.jpg
    FullSizeRender-compressed.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 3

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it were mine, and of course it is not, I would go ahead and repot with fresh soil being careful not to disturb the little pups any more than necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try to disturb the roots as little as possible; hard to do with the pot situation but do your best. The 'hollow' center is completely normal and no cause for concern. You may still get more shoots from it.

Ask a Question