Can I get rid of this grass?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I call it devil's grass. One tiny section of this root causes havoc in my garden. I try digging it up but it's so hard to get rid of.

Attachments

• DSC06304.JPG
    DSC06304.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

What is the area like where you're trying to get rid of it? Are there other plants there?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could try putting vinegar in a spray bottle and spraying it liberally. If you can, pour it on - so it gets to the roots. Do it at least 2-3 days before it rains. Do not get it on plants you want to keep.

Apple cider vinegar will work better, but is more expensive. White vinegar will work, but you have to use more of it. :meh:

Hope that helps, and Welcome to the forum!! :)

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
appears to be nimblewill-very invasive and a bear to eradicate, especially in lawns. Do a search, a pro may be required.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your replies. We live on a small farm and had an area tilled and cleaned out of this grass, I had various berries and flowers planted there. Then I started another garden and neglected the first one and this grass completely overtook it. I guess I'll have to wait until I retire to have the time keep up on the weeds and invasive grass. Maybe I can find another location where this devil's grass isn't growing and transplant what's left.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Birdie, welcome to the forum! Please tell us where you are in the USA, and your growing zone--it would be so helpful in giving suggestions or advice.

Here in central Texas we have grasses of all sorts, and most of them grow best in our flower and vegetable gardens! Have you considered putting down cardboard between rows to smother the grass? We had an awful problem in our asparagus bed, and found that putting down cardboard and covering it with mulch (grass clippings because we are "frugal" and had lots of clippings from mowing the lawns) kept the grass within bounds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Stake out a patch and let it grow to maturity to take pictures of its flower and seeding habit. This is fast and very useful for mouse jockey gardeners to use for identification of grass. It reminds me of bermuda. And that is 3 seperate opinions in this thread at this point.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After searching the internet, I think it's this. Couch grass?

Attachments

• giant-foxtail-setaria-faberi-on-a-farm-in-virginia-the-grass-is-an-CBF31P.jpg
    giant-foxtail-setaria-faberi-on-a-farm-in-virginia-the-grass-is-an-CBF31P.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 236
  • JDR4815_145737.jpg
    JDR4815_145737.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Ask a Question