Butterfly bush "buddleja davidii" wow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I started these butterfly bushes from seed this year and they are going to bloom. I knew that they grew quickly because we have several of them already growing but they were bought as all ready growing plants. I never thought they would grow this fast from seed.

Our other butterfly bushes are sterile, so they won't grow from seed. I don't know if our winter in zone 5b (central Indiana) will be cold enough to stop them from growing from the seeds they drop. The area they are in is a butterfly garden, so I don't care if they go to seed or not. I know that thy are invasive in some states but I don't know if they are where I am.

Has anyone had a problem with them?

Attachments

• 2023-07-06_08-41-26_compress61.jpg
    2023-07-06_08-41-26_compress61.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2023-07-06_08-41-05_compress18.jpg
    2023-07-06_08-41-05_compress18.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your garden looks good to me and is off to a good start. You have to give yourself more time and keep seeding every year until you get the amount of flowers you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Your garden looks good to me and is off to a good start. You have to give yourself more time and keep seeding every year until you get the amount of flowers you want.
We are happy with our flower beds. We keep expanding them every year. We start some perinnials and annuals from seed every year. We try get plants that self seed easily.

I love starting flowers from seed. It makes them seem more beautiful knowing that you started them yourself.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They produce large quantities of wind borne seeds, over here they invade all sorts of bits of waste ground, British rail spend several millions a year removing them. I don't know if they are hardy in 5b, probably if they are here. The responsible way to grow is to dead head when the flowers go over and stop them running to seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
They produce large quantities of wind borne seeds, over here they invade all sorts of bits of waste ground, British rail spend several millions a year removing them. I don't know if they are hardy in 5b, probably if they are here. The responsible way to grow is to dead head when the flowers go over and stop them running to seed.
Ares die back to the ground every year but that doesn't mean the seed dies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They suffer during the winter here, but don't die right back, I guess your root stays alive though, the same plant coming back. Seed starts a new plant in a new place. I cut them right back to re-start in the spring. After a year or two there is a strong root system there and they grow like rockets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking of planting this next Spring from started plants along with other Perennials.

Really should get seed and start ahead of time then transplant.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of planting this next Spring from started plants along with other Perennials.

Really should get seed and start ahead of time then transplant.

big rockpile
It grows well from cuttings, and there are some good colour variations. There are also some which are sterile, so no seedlings popping up everywhere if you miss deadheading a flower, they have to come from cuttings of course.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks found out more. There is a Grower about 80 miles from here that has native they are pushing them.

I have a lot of work to do before I do this.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have learned that tall and short snapdragons will grow from seed.
Grandmother did not cut her tall snapdragons short in the Autumn. Sometimes some of them grew new leaves in the Spring.

Ask a Question