Butterfly bush

Reaction score
We just got a butterfly bush I and am sooo excited to plant it! But before I do, who hear has a butterfly bush, and how's it working out?

Reaction score
If it is the same butterfly bush as I have - Buddleia davidii, - long greyish -green leaves & drooping plumes of tiny flowers? Yes, it is a lovely thing & the butterflies really do like it. Quite an 'informal' growth habit so needs plenty of room. Likes sun & well drained soil. Cut it back hard to the ground each spring & feed it . It will send up fresh growth & dozens of blooms. Enjoy.

Reaction score
My Aunt has one that is more like a tree! It was supposed to be a bush, but it is quite the big thing so I am wondering if it was labeled incorrectly at the store?

It is quite pretty and she gets a lot of butterflies each year too, so yes they do work. She gets different kinds of butterflies, but more Monarchs then others since that is what we have a lot of around here.

You will enjoy your butterfly bush!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Veg11, what color is your butterfly bush? I found a nice picture of a few varietes:

butterflybushflowers1.jpg

My favorite would be White Profusion since I love white flowers, but the other ones are beautiful too:)

Reaction score
Mine is very young, so there aren't ant flowers yet.:( I think the Twilight one is amazing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sure that it will produce beautiful flowers, you just have to be patient. I agree, the Twilight one looks very pretty, although I must say that I prefer more delicate colors...I'm in a romantic mood:p

Reaction score
You attract lots of interesting pollinators with butterfly bushes. They are magic, they attracts species I've never seen before. It is a plain Jane looking bush , but it has great benefits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have one! And will probably get another. Have it facing SW so it's getting a ton of sun which it likes. Beautiful and fragrant purple blooms for most of the summer and into fall. I used the 10-10-10 miracle grow hose end sprayer 3-4 times spring into summer - once per month.

My in laws also have a bunch of them and said not to cut them back ever but disagree; their's is massive but it's also not as dense and very woody. I just wait to prune it till early spring when there's no more risk of frost and then basically cut it all the way down to the ground. It grows right back up almost 5-6 feet high throughout spring and summer. If you want blooms earlier you can maybe not trim as much but imo it needs to be trimmed. It just looks neater and much more dense when cut back too; basically treat them like my forsythia - if you don't trim those either they get very woody and sparse.

They attract all kinds of creatures - butterflies, hummingbird moths, bees and have even seen hummingbirds on them as well.

Thought I had a picture of them but looks like only of them in the background of the sunflower (taken mid-August after trimming down to the ground in late April):

I'm in New England zone 5a if that helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted one about a month ago. It was about three feet high and had the lavender flowers on it. Monarchs and Swallowtails found it immediately! They do love it. The house behind me has one or two by their back fence that are neglected and they are huge. But they had tons of flowers on them (and butterflies) which made me go buy mine. I won't prune it next Spring just to see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
They're beautiful and fast growing with honey scented flowers. Only problem is that they die easily, especially when it's too dry or too wet. :eek:

Ask a Question