Busy Bees

Reaction score
I have plant that has a small red flower and it usually blossoms in the spring and summer its really beautiful, but it attracts bees! The worse part about it is that its right next to my door so the bees sometimes come in the house.I would move the plant, but its not in a pot so I have no choice other than to try and get rid of the bees. I really hope that there is a way to help because I would really hate to know that I would have to get rid of the plant if the problem progresses.

Reaction score
If its not too large of a plant then just move it. You want to have bees in your yard if you plan on having your plants bloom. In the spring dig it up and move it farther away from the house. You'll still be able to look at the plant and the bees can do their magic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love bees!:) In my area there are less and less of them each year, I can't express enough how worried I'm because of it. I don't think you can get rid of them. Maybe try to transplant this plant? Unless it's really big, it shouldn't be too difficult. In my opinion it's worth a try.

Reaction score
Bee keepers use Bee Quick to clear the top of the hives so they can take the honey off: I wonder if it would work for you?

I have smelled it and it does not have much of a smell if you are a human, but bees hate it and they leave. I have no idea how long the smell lasts, either: I used to have a hive in my back yard but I never tried to repell bees for more than a few minutes!

There is a different bee repellant that does smell bad to humans, but Fischers Bee Quick does not hardly have any smell at all... to humans! http://bee-quick.com/

Reaction score
I think I would move the plant rather than try and get rid of the bees for several reasons and the main one being that the bee population has been decreasing over the past years and because of that as headfullofbees pointed out - most people are trying to attract bees rather than get rid of them - apart from that, bees are extremely hard to deter and moving your plant would definitely be the quickest and be the easiest option.
You didn't say what kind of plant it is that you are considering moving but it doesn't really matter as almost any plant
can be moved whether it is in a pot or not - its only those ones that don't like having their roots disturbed - that are a little more tricky - but if in doubt you could always take a few cuttings beforehand - to make sure that you had a few replacements - just in case anything happens to the plant when you move it :)
If you were to let us know what type of plant it is that you are considering moving - then I'm more than sure that we would all - be very happy to give you some helpful tips on how to move your plant successfully - which as I said before is most definitely the easiest way of dealing with your bee problem.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with "gata montes"I would just move the plant away from the door. Bees are becoming harder and harder to attract to the yard to help pollinate your plants. It really should not be to difficult to move the plant to a spot that will allow the bees to visit the plant and not come into your house. If you do move the plant please make sure you water the plant very well for the first couple of days to help the plant adjust to the new home.

Reaction score
Help , noticed today I have 100's of sm holes all over my lawn ,after reading forums I believe by size and amt. Of holes I have a LG bee population in my ground ,I have 2 dogs and 2 sm grandbabies, these holes are right off the back porch were dogs go out and babies play , can anyone tell me how to get them to leave ? I truly don't want to harm them ,but I don't want to risk babies or dogs getting multiple stings being in the same area .any help would be much appreciated ! Thanks Babyred

Reaction score
Do you know what kind of bees they are? If they are honey bees they will almost certainly not sting you unless you squish one with bare skin. Honey bees are so docile, I've even cut lavender while they are all over the bush, just being careful not to take one that a bee was on.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Like many people are saying, try move the plant away from the door. Bees are certainly healthy for your garden and are perfectly safe unless you are deathly allergic to them! The typical honey bee will not sting you unless they are greatly aggravated.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I would advise you on maybe getting rid of the plant since spraying the bees will only kill the bees visiting the plant at the time of spraying but will not stop other bees from visiting the plant in future. I don’t think you would like to kill all the bees that visit your plant each and every day. If you can’t get rid of the plant, plant bee repellent flowers such as feverfew (Matricaria parthenoides) or ethryna fusca (Erythrina fusca Loureiro) next to your plant, this will keep the bees away.

Ask a Question