bush beans dying help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I started 2 garden beds about two weeks ago and I am attempting to do square foot gardening. The soil is one part peat, one part vermiculite and one part manure/compost mix. I planted my bush beans and after a week they started to turn colors on the bottom leaves. At first it looks tan color
IMG_20160522_181342.jpg
then they
IMG_20160522_180157.jpg
go brown and curl. It's not a watering issue because I watch the soil closely with a moister meter so I am at a loss help plz.

Attachments

• IMG_20160522_181342.jpg
    IMG_20160522_181342.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 968
Reaction score
Country
United States
All the bag said was steer manure and compost in the ingredients. I actually got the cheap bags you find at Home Depot or Walmart. I was actually thinking root burn but I wasn't sure this is my first attempt at gardening.

Screenshot_2016-05-23-11-30-17.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was actually going to get some like happy frog bags of soil or something and mix it in and hope it helps would that be a good idea at this point?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Root burn?
Don't think so, just wanted to rule it out, and I think we can.
I was more concerned that the growing medium, if enough wood in it, was sequestrating all the nitrogen, causing chlorosis.
Enrique vera, that looks like chlorosis from wind burn or something similar.
When I look at the smaller leaves, or the peristem, (growing tip) I see what appears to be healthy plants.
I'd like another photo of the tops of the plants taken now, and ask if you've had any incidents like high winds, which may have caused this damage, because, from what I've seen, your plants aren't dying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Somethi
Don't think so, just wanted to rule it out, and I think we can.
I was more concerned that the growing medium, if enough wood in it, was sequestrating all the nitrogen, causing chlorosis.
Enrique vera, that looks like chlorosis from wind burn or something similar.
When I look at the smaller leaves, or the peristem, (growing tip) I see what appears to be healthy plants.
I'd like another photo of the tops of the plants taken now, and ask if you've had any incidents like high winds, which may have caused this damage, because, from what I've seen, your plants aren't dying.
Something else to consider is the Ph. Peat moss is about 4.5, vermiculite neutral at about 7 and I would imaging the manure to be fairly acidic also. Beans like their soil to be slightly acidic, about 6.8. Average all the components together and you will probably end up somewhere in the high 5's. Just a thought but you are probably correct that it is a weather problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has been rather windy and stormy.
1464029485337.jpg

Also my corn has been showing the same signs the past few days.
1464029658903.jpg

And as far as ph according to the 3 in one meter I have it says it's around 7 I know these things are not completely accurate. So it could be a bit high

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also it is pretty breezy today but you can barely feel it in my back yard because of the high trees and fences. As well as it being the low part or the property.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Somethi

Something else to consider is the Ph. Peat moss is about 4.5, vermiculite neutral at about 7 and I would imaging the manure to be fairly acidic also. Beans like their soil to be slightly acidic, about 6.8. Average all the components together and you will probably end up somewhere in the high 5's. Just a thought but you are probably correct that it is a weather problem
If pH was the problem, that would be more likely to stop plants taking up nutrients at that level, leaving them stunted, rather than burning, wouldn't you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If pH was the problem, that would be more likely to stop plants taking up nutrients at that level, leaving them stunted, rather than burning, wouldn't you think?
More than likely you are right.

We have had a lot of rain lately and my corn is looking just like the pic of corn shown above.. However my beans are not..............yet. If I were to bet I would bet on it being too wet for too long

Reaction score
Country
United States
K. Also I posted on a facebook page as well and some one said it could be a root eating bug. Like earwig larvae or darkling they mentioned. Also I just mowed my lawn in the back and I have seen tons of earwigs.. Could they be causing this issue?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the same leaf as above in a different bed then the two bush beans together and it seems to have gotten worse since yesterday evening and the soil is much dryer but still moist Enough at root level according to the meter. Haha dry for posting so much I'm just worried

1464039369539.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
K. Also I posted on a facebook page as well and some one said it could be a root eating bug. Like earwig larvae or darkling they mentioned. Also I just mowed my lawn in the back and I have seen tons of earwigs.. Could they be causing this issue?
Not very likely earwigs as they eat foliage not roots. Possibly grub worms although with grub damage it usually shows as stunted growth over a period of time. Why don't you dig a hole in close proximity to the plant and feel with your hands just how moist the soil really is. I have NEVER seen a moisture meter worth a damn.

This also looks a bit like sunscald. Have you sprayed the plants with anything?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Checked the soil by hand and the first half an inch is dry but under that is pretty moist. Not soggy or soak but moist.

Ask a Question