Bulbs!? Corms?! Seeds!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thank you so much. I agree that indeed our earth is for us to nurture and vice versa… that is the cycle of life! I will check that site out. Btw have you ever planted tulips?
yes, planted lots of tulips, but they in general don't last too long, maybe 3 years, the ones that are classed as early tulips or naturalized last about 5 years. I plant daffs more, they do double under ground . have about 400 Thousand of those. and yes leave them in the ground all winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi thank you.. I did plant the bulbs as soon as temps stayed consistently low. I also planted garlic cloves I collected from this years harvest. I am praying they work out …. I am so nervous.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
one more, the beans, are these from your veggie garden? are you planning to dry them to eat? or plant next year. again, there are many varieties of beans to explore, and a package of them is cheap for next year. and a package in the food store dry is cheap. Again, not sure your question. hope not to insult, trying to figure out what your really asking.
Someone did a study of people who had come to England and brought sub-tropical vegetable seeds and grown them here in allotments, saving seed year on year for ten years or more. They found that selecting the best seed meant the plants had adapted to the particular conditions, and in fact did better than varieties produced by seed companies to grow here. Un-natural selection really works and you can improve your yields by developing a sub-cultivar that is suited to your particular garden, it is worth saving veggie seeds, even if they are cheap to buy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone did a study of people who had come to England and brought sub-tropical vegetable seeds and grown them here in allotments, saving seed year on year for ten years or more. They found that selecting the best seed meant the plants had adapted to the particular conditions, and in fact did better than varieties produced by seed companies to grow here. Un-natural selection really works and you can improve your yields by developing a sub-cultivar that is suited to your particular garden, it is worth saving veggie seeds, even if they are cheap to buy.
Thank you so much Oliver. I was very unsuccessful saving the beans. They grew mold! I had them in a container with silica gel packets thinking it would help with the moisture in the air, but no. Now I just have alittle more than a handful that I am just cooking right away.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had mold problems myself in the past, the solution seems to be space and air. I put them in open margarine tubs, not too many in one, and give them a shake and a stir occasionally so none get trapped at the bottom to fester. Better luck next year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had mold problems myself in the past, the solution seems to be space and air. I put them in open margarine tubs, not too many in one, and give them a shake and a stir occasionally so none get trapped at the bottom to fester. Better luck next year.
Thanks Oliver! I will give hat a try next season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
they will be fine. pray for something else.
I have a concern. I don’t remember if I watered the beds down after planting my garlic cloves and tulip bulbs. I definitely mulched and covered them for the winter but I can’t remember if I watered. I am pretty sure I didn’t mulch immediately after I planted so we did have rain and slight snow before I completely covered the beds. Is it safe to assume they will still sprout? I took a quick peek under the mulch of the garlic weeks ago and saw no growth so I am concerned. What is the worst I can expect? Will my cloves/bulbs go bad in that soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
One hesitates to predict the future with certainty, but from all you have said, it sounds like everything will be fine. Don't expect to see much growth now, it is the middle of Winter.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Even though individual packets of seeds may be cheap to buy, a garden full of different seeds do add up in terms of cost. I like the idea of saving seeds and definitely plan to learn how to save seeds this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Even though individual packets of seeds may be cheap to buy, a garden full of different seeds do add up in terms of cost. I like the idea of saving seeds and definitely plan to learn how to save seeds this year.
I get that and I am very frugal in general. But, I like change, so to use the same seeds the next year would be boring for me. Love exploring new seeds etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get that and I am very frugal in general. But, I like change, so to use the same seeds the next year would be boring for me. Love exploring new seeds etc.
I have to agree here too. I definitely save my seeds because why not right?! But I do get different seeds every year to spice things up too.

Ask a Question