Spring bulbs in containers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks:

Mu husband built a beautiful yard cart and we fill it with a half dozen window box containers of annuals from May-August. We switch it to Mums from Sep-Nov if we didn't plant marigolds in spring, and then I place an artificial Christmas tree from Dec-Jan that looks like we are hauling it in after being fresh cut. We'd like to fill it with perennial spring bulbs like tulips, hyacinth or daffodils from Mar-May, but everything I am reading is telling me that leaving the bulbs in containers is not a great practice. What do you know about using window box containers for bulbs and how would you store them the remainder of the year? How many years do you think I could get them to return or will it be one year and done?

Thanks-
Becky

Attachments

• IMG_2596.jpg
    IMG_2596.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 97
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We have some in containers. they are there on hold for when we can till new areas and move them in the ground. They were separated from many of the in ground groups we have. Reminder: we have over 200Thousand bulbs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mu husband built a beautiful yard cart and we fill it ....
What a talented husband you have, that yard cart is great and those plants make it really POP! Fabulous display.
Spring bulbs in window boxes: yes, I have some (on my window ledges) and I do not remove the bulbs. They come back year on year. The only thing I ensure I do each spring is to sprinkle on some long lasting fertilizer pellets.
Can't wait to see other pictures from other seasons of your yard cart ... the Christmas tree idea sounds excellent!

Ask a Question