Ideas, suggestions and advice about staggering bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, been a while since I posted here. Anyway, I moved into my current house in November 2018, it's taken a while to break down and improve the tired, clay soil and remove various conifer trees to improve the drainage and workability of the soil.

I have planted numerous shrubs which should be between 1.5m and 2.5m tall in three years or so. The front of the borders (they are quite deep borders) I have left free because I want to fill them with bulbs which will provide me with blooms from early spring until the end of autumn.

So... I'm after some ideas. I am in the UK, the part of the garden is relatively sunny in the summer, does not have great drainage although I have improved this massively over the last couple of years.

Could you give me some suggestions for bulbs to flower at different points of the year?

Thanks in advance!

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spring: Crocus, snowdrops, daffodils, alliums, scilla, hyacinth, Leucojum, Muscari ipheion and tulips.
Summer: Lilies, Gladiolus, Galtonia, Crocosmia
Autumn: Colchicum, Crocus, Liriopes, Nerine, Brodiaea
Winter: Snowdrops
If you want to stretch the definition of bulb then irises, cannas and cyclamen.
The above are just a few of the bulbous plants available.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree on planting daffodils as a good choice based on what you're describing. Supposedly they take well-drained soil, but I planted about 100 bulbs 10 years ago in some super-dense clay soil on a hilltop in Alabama, so I think they work just fine in the conditions you're describing. (It's some DENSE rocky clay here!)

Ours bloom in February and the flowers stick around till the spring. Summer heat doesn't seem to bother them either, so I think it's a safe bet for your area.

Ask a Question