Bulb chat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hello all,
A few days ago I finished planting daffodil and tulips bulbs. I think I did a pretty good job; this is only my second year doing so.
San Francisco has always had strange weather, no seasons, fog, unreliable rain. (Drought in California, you know.)
Anyway, yesterday it started raining...really raining. It's still raining. They're calling it an atmospheric river.
My question: is all this rain going to rot the bulbs??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rain is unlikely to cause rot unless the plant conditions are exceptionally saturated. Narcissus and Tulipa do well even in clay soils.
What kind of Tulipa did you plant? Were they pre-chilled?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Low-elevation, coastal California's mild, mediterranean-type climate allows for an exceptionally wide variety of geophytes ('bulbs') to be successfully grown. However, some geophytes from colder climates do require vernalization (chilling hours) in order to insure successful bloom. This limits their adaptability in mild-winter climates unless additional pre-chilling steps are taken. Eremurus and some Tulipa are two examples of such plants.

To be clear, the subterranean or surface stem structures produced by various geophytes include corms, tubers, thickened rhizomes, and true bulbs, as well as as actual thickened storage roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Rain is unlikely to cause rot unless the plant conditions are exceptionally saturated. Narcissus and Tulipa do well even in clay soils.
What kind of Tulipa did you plant? Were they pre-chilled?
Just a variety of regular bulbs. And yes, they were pre-chilled.
Thanks for your reply,
janice

Ask a Question