Bugs are disappearing and have you been doing to attract them?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
o_O Allowing a beekeeper to place hives in your garden...? That's pretty cool - renting beehives is big business over here. The almond farms in CA rent billions of bees every year - there just aren't enough to pollinate the crops. :(

Honey Bees are non-native here in the US, and sadly, often mislead people into thinking they're the specie that needs saving, which takes attention off of our native bees, who really need our help. Honey bees are commercially available and their only importance in the U.S. is to make honey. Saving native bee species is what matters. They have no help right now and numbers are dropping. Native North American bees pollinate far more than honey bees do.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the absence of news.. There are actually quite a few different sorts of bees, just as @Rajesh Sethi points out, there are bugs, and BUGS.. This man has his garden specially designed to cater for all sorts of bees hotels. He has the ground for bumble bees and some bees which build their nest several inches above the ground. Also, there are various different kinds of beneficial bugs such as hoverflies. My carrot flowers are on, but I haven't seen any hoverflies. Hopefully, when the sun comes out, they will be here. Last summer, they were buzzing drunk..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the absence of news.. There are actually quite a few different sorts of bees, just as @Rajesh Sethi points out, there are bugs, and BUGS.. This man has his garden specially designed to cater for all sorts of bees hotels. He has the ground for bumble bees and some bees which build their nest several inches above the ground. Also, there are various different kinds of beneficial bugs such as hoverflies. My carrot flowers are on, but I haven't seen any hoverflies. Hopefully, when the sun comes out, they will be here. Last summer, they were buzzing drunk..
@alp i grow a lot of single flowers, that's better for polinaters. Don't get a lot of butterflies, but get hoverflies and a lot of different bees.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hoverflies are very good for gardens. Nick Bailey had a visit to a lab and he was explaining how important it was to have hoverflies around and he mentioned carrot flowers and ammi which I have. I still have one in sort of flowering .. I have kept it but sadly too cold for hoverflies. Bees love single flowers, especially blue or violet ones. Good that you have loads of single flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In my experience hoverflies generally like the smaller flowers, such as on the Alyssum, Poke weed and chickweed, but I've also seen them around other flowers like my Spiderwort, Blanket Flowers, Spanish needles.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think we should plant local or indigenous wildflowers as they are best for local wildlife. Funny things is that we have all sorts of bees and we should have different levels of height of bug hotels for them. Bumblebees like the ground level, if I remember correctly.. Very interesting subject.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Credit to one Craig Burrows via Reddit, a photo of what insects see in the UV light spectrum.
86a783c.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I've got lavender a lot of single flowers that they like better,poppies, foxgloves,pot marigolds,snapdragons, Japanese anemones,tithonia and aquilegia.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I couldn't agree more DirtMechanic. I've created flower beds and done a huge amount of work to create a small wildflower meadow.

Thanks for posting the delightful pictures.

Kind regards, Colin.

Creating meadow 1.JPG

As it was at the top of the mountain.

Creating meadow 2.JPG

Just one of many piles of debris disposed of.

Creating meadow 7.JPG

The front hedge completely gone including roots. Lots of digging by spade turning grass over and clearing endless stones and many roots.

Creating meadow 9.JPG

After a great deal of hard graft I could finally use my new Hyundai rotavator.

Creating meadow 10.JPG

Our new small wildflower meadow in full bloom this year; it looked stunning and even now nearing mid October there are still lots of flowers in bloom. Lots of hard work but end result well worth it. (y)

Ask a Question