BPAs and other harmfulls in hose.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

This is my second year gardening and I've got a lot of veggies going in my garden. However, since my plan is to eat lots of what I've grown I want to make sure they are as healthy and safe as possible. I understand that some hoses leach harmful chemicals like lead and BPAs. If possible I would like to have a drip irrigation system that doesn't do this but, withstanding that I'd be happy to have just a hose that doesn't leach harmful chemicals. Does anyone have any recommendations for a drip irrigation system that is safe for food?

Thanks,
Anthony

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So you are basically concerned that plants will uptake a bpa molecule? The reason I ask is people will use things like "organic" copper fungicides which are capable of building up in the soil and making it toxic even though here in the U$A they have not been banned yet. I know heat and uv light helps break down polymers so my hoses are in boxes but this bpa minute has me tagging along on your thread to learn something myself.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, I don't know for sure that it happens but I figure that since BPAs used to leach out from people water bottles that it can leach out from a hose. It's another question if they are taken up by the plant but this doesn't seem too crazy to me either.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, I don't know for sure that it happens but I figure that since BPAs used to leach out from people water bottles that it can leach out from a hose. It's another question if they are taken up by the plant but this doesn't seem too crazy to me either.
I was shopping around for a new hose not long ago and seen lead and BPA free hoses at Canadian Tire and on Amazon. They are called drink safe or something like that.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well, I found something that looks BPA free. At least it says it is and that's all I can do. Didn't want to spend $$$$ on the polyurethane hoses so I got this one.

I had been searching for a while and for some reason this never came up. I eventually saw it in the 'related items' tab when I was looking at stainless steel hoses.
BPA is a plasticizer as I understand. I guess they have others to make the plastics pliable?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasia

Latest Threads