Bok Choy

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Bok choy aka, pak choi or pok choi is a type of Chinese cabbage, which is delicious on the table. The Chinensis variety which I grow does not form heads and has green leaf blades. It has a flavor somewhere between spinach and water chestnuts but is slightly sweeter than both, with a mildly peppery flavor. They are a member of the family of Brassicaceae or Cruciferae, also commonly known as the mustards, the crucifers, or the cabbage family.

Each year I grow more and more fond of this wonderful plant. It is easy to start from seed even in hot weather. Those shown below were seeded in late August of this year in 100 deg. F and 100% humidity conditions which stifle most other veggies. It seems to prefer cool weather however, and these will provide table fare through November and another planting follows them. It absolutely thrives in my HK containers.

bok choy growing.JPG

They are especially great in stir fry recipes and as a replacement for celery which I cannot grow here. It's fast becoming one of my favorite veggies.

bok choy harvest.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Sorry, that is my shorthand for "Hügelkultur containers" which I use extensively to grow veggies in especially fall veggies.

See the thread:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Bok Choy can tolerate temps in the upper 20s for brief duration. A hard freeze below 20 deg F will wipe them out.

Reaction score
once I’ve cut the leaves off I put them in a container of water for a couple of weeks and then pot them

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Interesting. I've had people tell me they would look great in a flower arrangement... but I prefer eating them.

Ask a Question