Blueberry bushes produce but don't grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update - if anyone is still there. i fertilized the stunted blueberry bushes with Holly Tone the first week of April and again last week. I had a soil test done and one area has a PH of 4.5. So I threw down some lime. Another area was at 6.1. I couldn't understand why that area went up. I left that alone.

I am posting some photos of of the now 4 - seven year old bushes (I have had them planted here for 4 years... 3 and this year). Don't you think they should be much taller.

Don't mean to push my luck, but I also added a photo of 2 Blackberry bushes. This is their 3rd year and I did get some blackberries last year.
One, the Arapaho, has no leaves and I believe a new can coming in on the bottom. The Apache has leaves on only one branch. They both looked great last year. I am not sure what happened. The thing I did different was pinch the tips so they wouldn't get too carried away.

There are 10 of them. 5 - 6 different types

Here is the one the rabbit got last year. All but that one branch. Which happen to be the tallest branch of any bush.

Blackberry plants

Thanks.................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
RichO- You say you have 5 varieties, any highbush? I planted 7 about 10 years ago. cut them back hard every year and they are still10'+. We are in southern Maryland with clay soil. Have never tested ph or fertilized. By mid July every year i let the birds and deer stuff themselves with blueberries.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mrsclem - I believe they are Highbush - I have 2 Jersey, 3 Blue Ray, 1 Patriot, 1 Blue Gold and 1 Blue Crop. The last two are Chandler. My soil is sandy loam. The Patriot may be the smallest, but it produces big time for its size. And is loaded with buds again this year. The Jerseys are the biggest (closest in photo) and produce very well. They all seem healthy. They just don't want to grow. So, as suggested from my friends above, I am trying some organic fertilizer and some liquid seaweed/kelp.

Ask a Question