blossum end rot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have great looking tomatoes that are nice plump and green ,finding when they start to turn , there is a rot taking place on many of them,
also see holes on some but cant find any worms or bugs anywhere, i'll post a few pics later,
I added some calcium around the base of them and watered them in but worried it's too late to save some of them.
Any ideas on a remedy ? thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have great looking tomatoes that are nice plump and green ,finding when they start to turn , there is a rot taking place on many of them,
also see holes on some but cant find any worms or bugs anywhere, i'll post a few pics later,
I added some calcium around the base of them and watered them in but worried it's too late to save some of them.
Any ideas on a remedy ? thanks
Rot is caused by different things. Blossom End Rot is caused by the plant being unable to uptake calcium. In many circumstances, there is plenty of calcium already in the soil but the plant is unable to uptake it. If this be the case apply a big handful of Epsom Salts. This will enable the plant to uptake calcium. Another type of rot occurs on different areas of the fruit but mostly on the shoulder of the fruit. If you look closely you will see a very tiny hole, not much bigger than a pin prick. Usually this happens on young fruit. It is caused by a moth laying a single very tiny, almost invisible egg that hatches into a very very tiny worm. This worm eats his way into the fruit and this causes rot. His name is Tomato Pin Worm. Another type of rot occurs after heavy rain when the fruit cannot grow fast enough to overcome the amount of water and cracks. Many times these cracks rot.
Blossom End Rot is usually the most serious of all the rots. You can still, in most cases, cut away the rotted portion and still have much of the fruit still tasty but I think it best to pull the fruit when it is still green.
There are still other types of rot but they are unlikely. Please send pictures of what is going on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the information , besides the rot I see these holes in the tomato not sure if they're related this particular tomato has no rot on it when I pulled it,
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0582.JPGIMG_0583.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the information , besides the rot I see these holes in the tomato not sure if they're related this particular tomato has no rot on it when I pulled it, View attachment 66081View attachment 66082View attachment 66081View attachment 66082
In these pictures what has happened is loopers, a small green caterpillar, have chewed through the skin of the tomato. This type of damage is usually not all that serious. The round holes will scab but the interior of the tomato, or the flesh, usually is still ok. When you have this type of damage just leave it alone as most of the tomato will not be affected. Spray the plant with Bt.

Ask a Question