Blackberry Picking Today!

Reaction score
I am going blackberry picking today! The farm is already open but I am going to let my hubby sleep a bit longer before I go. I am going to get enough berries to freeze and to make blackberry pie filling. I will most certainly be very busy this weekend with the blackberries and the gardening. I am also stopping by Walmart to see what sort of plants they have left. I hope it is going to be a productive weekend.

With any luck I might get some blueberries too while I am at the farm.

Reaction score
Have fun with it, I know you have been a bit down about the state of your garden. I LOVE blackberries, they really are my favorite berry to have with almost anything.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, only just flowering over here :)

Reaction score
I love going to get blackberries, only here, I pick them wild. It is so nice to find a beautiful stand of plants and eat the sun warmed berries straight of the plant. I have not gotten out to pick them in several years and will have to find a spot that still has them and I can access. We have wild plums here, too. They are small,,, about the size of a large marble, and are usually freestone. They are so delicious. A friend gave me some she had picked earlier this week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds really wonderful, Shellyann36:) I like blackberries, I'd love to go pick some too. Is blackberry pie filling difficult to make? Could you share the recipe with us? I'm in a mood for trying a new dessert:)
Today, I picked a lot of strawberries. I didn't wait, I ate them right away:)

Reaction score
@firelily99 I had a great time! The temps were just right. It was warm out but overcast with a nice breeze. Perfect day to pick. I got 1 and 1/2 trays of blackberries at $4 per pound and 1/2 tray of blueberries at $3 per pound. I am going to go back for more blueberries over the July 4th holiday. If they still have blackberries I may get some more of them too. The kids really love the blueberries though and since they are cheaper I will buy more of them. I decided to freeze them all instead of canning any pie filling with the blackberries and the blueberries are nearly gone already. The boys really love them.

@zigs I hope you get an abundance. Our season of blackberries could end soon.

@evelynmcgregor I am afraid all of the wild blackberries have been dug up by progress around here. It is so sad. We do still have a few stray wild plum trees but they are few and far between now as well. I miss the good ole days when it was no problem finding wild fruits and berries to fill your basket.

@claudine I have two sites where you can get the blackberry pie filling recipe from. It is really easy.
http://canningusasupplystore.com/recipes/index.php/home-canning-fruit-recipes/117
http://tipnut.com/homemade-pie-filling/

Reaction score
Judging from your other posts, it seems like this weekend was indeed a very productive weekend for you! Kudos to you. I hope you manage to pick lots of blackberries for your pie!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing these links, Schellyann36. I'll definitely make myself some blackberry pie filling. I'm not sure how to bake a cake or a pie, but I believe that this filling will taste great with my favorite store-bought cookies:D

Reaction score
Ohhh those look delicious! Maybe if you go back over the July 4th weekend, you could take some photos for us? I'd love to see a proper blackberry...field? Orchard? Vineyard? I'm not sure what the correct term is.

Reaction score
@Trellum I got lots of berries. I do hope I can get some more this weekend.

@claudine oh yes it will taste great. Blackberries are so good.

@Annabell The name of the business is Dr. Young's Berry Farm but if I go I will take my camera and take some pictures. They have the canes and bushes in such nice neat rows and they are well managed. There is plenty of space to walk between the rows (large enough for a large tractor/mower to get through) and they keep the dead canes cut back. I wish I would have taken my camera this past weekend.

Reaction score
@Annabell The name of the business is Dr. Young's Berry Farm but if I go I will take my camera and take some pictures. They have the canes and bushes in such nice neat rows and they are well managed. There is plenty of space to walk between the rows (large enough for a large tractor/mower to get through) and they keep the dead canes cut back. I wish I would have taken my camera this past weekend.
That sounds absolutely lovely!

I wish I was close enough to be able to go, but I think it'd be a bit of a trip from the UK just for some blackberries :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Love berry season! Need to get out in the yard and pick some blueberries and raspberries. Have been kind of lazy and only been out to munch on them. Made a great breakfast grazing on the bushes.:p Will start freezing some for later in the year.

Reaction score
@Annabell Lol well you could stick around and see the sites as well.

@Jewell I envy you since you have these beauties in your yard. I am going to get more bushes/canes in the fall or spring and plant them. I want to pick my own!

Reaction score
Oh, I want some blackberries! I have a blackberry plant, but me being the inattentive gardener that I am, cut down LAST years canes. So I have a lot of leafy canes on the bush right now but NO FRUIT! I forgot that the fruit develops on the previous years canes, ARGH. Oh well, maybe next year....

Reaction score
haven't picked blackberries since i was a kid (and probaly nearly as long since i had good blackberry cobbler). it's another memory plant for me. i got 4 plants last year and planted them in pots, but this last winter had it's way with them. guess i'll need to replace them 'cause some good blackberries are on my mind now.

Ask a Question