Transplanting Blackberry Bushes?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I found out that the back of our property used to be filled with blackberry bushes just like our neighbors however the last owners ripped them all out. I’d like to put them back to not only provide some coverage at the back fence but for the rewards of berries.

Someone suggested that rather than buying any that we go to some public area and dig up a couple of bushes and transplant them into our yard. Blackberries grow prolifically here in the area so finding some will not be a challenge. Looking for any input on if others have been successful with moving blackberry bushes from one location to another and if so, when should I be doing this?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know too much about blackberries, though I have them lining my driveway. I would suggest transplanting the smallest ones you can find. In my limited experience, it seems plants handle being moved better when they're smaller. Blackberries grow all over around here too, probably even more by you, so I imagine they will be fairly easy to move and will probably do well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'd think twice about importing wild plants.
1) The fruit may well be of poorer quality than that of commercial varieties.
2) The yield may be lower.
3) They may harbour unknown nasties.

Blackberries are delicious, and I understand the temptation to save money, but I'd buy the best.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for the replies. Gives me a few things to consider such as the quality of the fruit that we would get.
I have not had a lot of success with doing cuttings so I think I'd best be advised to stay away from that.
Gardening and growing things is new to me and I think whatever route I go I should keep it simple.
Thank you for the input.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would make one more point:
Fruits of that nature, although perennial, tend to have harvests which really drop off after 8-10 years, and can be quite a job to dig out.
With newly bought canes, you tend to get far longer lifespan.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have more blackberry (actually black raspberry) plants then I could possible use. I have dug them up just to get rid of them. Last year I took a few out and gave them away and they grew very well in their new location. I have found that they respond to fertilizer and the berries are much bigger.

Ask a Question