Biggest Slug Ever In My House

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found the biggest fattest slug I have ever seen in the lower level of the house. There are no plants down there so what has it been eating to get so huge.

How did it get into the house? I would like to plug up the hole so no more get it. They are so ugly and creepy.

I scooped the slug up and deposited outside.

Reaction score
Hard to say how it got in and I don't think that they need a very big opening. Kosher salt or dried pine needles tend to deter them so you might consider putting something like that to keep them away from the house.

Reaction score
There are a lot of slugs where I live. They seem to come out the most after rains and I have even had small ones climb up through my drains. To solve that problem, I poured a strong salt water solution down the drains and I do that at least once a month. I sprinkle salt on the thresholds of my door and along the bottom of the window sills.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never though about slugs climbing into the house through the drains, I will need to pour some salt water through the drains as it has been a very wet summer for us.We do have salt around the baseboard of the door but that may have lost it's power it has been there for awhile. Time to put more salt down.

Reaction score
Lol, wish you had taken a picture. It's weird it made it inside, but if you wonder how it could get so big if there were no plant around, then there is a huge chance that slug is a predator. Some of them are, not all of them feed on plants. Gross!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I looked it up they do eat other slugs, that one may have eaten some of the spiders we get in the basement. I hope no more get in down there.

Reaction score
Hard to say how it got in and I don't think that they need a very big opening. Kosher salt or dried pine needles tend to deter them so you might consider putting something like that to keep them away from the house.
Huh...I've never heard of pine needles as a remedy for slugs. Does that really work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have tons of slugs where I live and they always come out after a rainfall. I can honestly say I have never had one in my house though! I agree that salt will do the trick, because if they get too close, the salt will dry them out and kill them.

Reaction score
Gross. I like most critters but I hate slugs. They're like nose mucus that came to life. I wish you had taken a photo, OP.
Now I'm curious to see what the biggest slug ever looks like.

Reaction score
I wonder how they might get into the drain? Would this be an indication that the plumbing is somehow compromised?

Reaction score
Yuck I just despise slug they let my skin crawl whenever i see them i just deposit some salt on them and that takes care of them.

Reaction score
Eew. I literally just shivered while reading this thread, especially at Pats comment about how slugs eat other slugs!

I don't mind them if they're outside where they belong, but I've had one or two come in, and it's nasty. I hate the slimey trail they leave behind too (or am I thinking of snails?)

Reaction score
I wonder how they might get into the drain? Would this be an indication that the plumbing is somehow compromised?
It's got to be an indication of that, wouldn't you think? Water usually washes them back out, so they can't exactly be getting in from the gutters or anything like that. This might be something you need to look into carefully, as it could be more dangerous than just slugs

Ask a Question