Better Boy Hybrid tomato

Reaction score
Country
United States
IF,IF you have a good fruit set you will probably be able to get ripe tomatoes. I used to have a commercial tomato farm in the San Leon/Bacliff area, close to where you are and in a lot of years only had light frosts until about Jan. You can protect your plant with a product called Nsulate. It is a fabric and one layer will give about 6 degrees of protection, down to about 26F. 2 layers about 8 or 9 degrees.
I have one fruit set, but it is not getting much bigger.

I have plenty of yellow blossoms.

Is the lack of fruit due to the high temps in Texas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have one fruit set, but it is not getting much bigger.

I have plenty of yellow blossoms.

Is the lack of fruit due to the high temps in Texas?
Yes, absolutely. And it is also the reason for small fruit. Your plant will not set any more fruit until the nighttime LOW temps stay around 70F and the humidity stays between about 40% and about 70% and the daytime high temps stay below 92F

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That's why growing outside fall/winter tomatoes is always a huge gamble here.

The timeline for 77351 goes like this:

Fruit set on a good year maybe by Sept. 20.

Then about 30 days more to get a mature green tomato (excluding cherry toms) and another 20 days to get a ripe tomato.

That places you around Nov. 10 or about 10 days past the average first frost date here. Too much work playing the cover-up game to prevent frost damage.

It's a gamble that I loose way more often than I win...but the good news is that fried green tomatoes are wonderful.

Looking like we will get a few days early on fruit set for this area....55 deg. F last night here.

Hopefully that will translate to ripe tomatoes before first frost this year.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
So, fixit7, any ripe tomatoes yet?

As luck would have it, I hit the window perfectly this year and we are enjoying wonderful ripe tomatoes. We got a perfect early Sept. cool front for enabling fruit set...and no frost yet. Picking a few every day now and should continue until frost.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

fal tomatoes.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
The "Better Boy" tomato variety is an heirloom tomato variety from Teddy Jones and produced by Honey Plant. If you're looking for a tomato plant that will consistently produce beautiful, soft-skinned fruit, look no further than Better Boy tomatoes. This may be what you are looking for. Another thing we love about these tomatoes is that they grow in a variety of climates.

Ask a Question