Bell Pepper Leaves Dark and Leathery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I went ahead and watered it from the bottom yesterday and let the water drain out. Leaves still look the same today and water was still draining out this morning and I had a golf ball sized pepper fall off overnight and it was laying in the dirt. Not sure what's up with that, but I drilled even more holes in the bottom of the container to speed up the draining. I'm just going to leave it be for awhile. I'm not sure I like that natures care potting mix. Seems to hold moisture too well. I checked the soil moisture of a 20"L x 9"D plastic window box I planted strawberries in and it maxed out the digital moisture meter. I haven't watered it in a week and it's been sitting in direct sun with 85 degree air temps everyday. I've got plenty of large drain holes on the bottom too. Next time I'll make my own mix. Part of being a rookie I guess...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Be a little careful about oils and high temperatures also. Neem for example. The leaf temperatures can easily exceed the ambient temperature and when you think you are safe, you are not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Be a little careful about oils and high temperatures also. Neem for example. The leaf temperatures can easily exceed the ambient temperature and when you think you are safe, you are not.
I typically move my pots into the garage at night just bc I'm not sure what kind of creatures are prowling around to eat my plants and fruit. We've got some iguanas around my house and palm rats. I usually only apply insect soap or oils after I do that in the evening. I suppose that could still affect the leaves the following day. I really wish I could avoid using any sprays but I don't think the plants will make it if I don't.

Ask a Question