Bell Pepper leaves dry and curled up

Reaction score
I am totally not sure what's causing my bell pepper leaves to have brown spots and curl up.
It's getting enough sunlight, water.
The plant and the bell pepper growth seems to be stunted. I don't see it improving or drying up.
All three of my Bell pepper plants have this. Only one of them seems to be recovering.
Here are some pics of the leaves.

IMG_0041.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I am not sure, but it looks like the results of a fungus. If so, it is pretty easy to cure. A mixture of 1 tsp. baking soda, a drop or two of dishwashing liquid, and a pint of tepid water shaken and sprayed on the plants, top and bottom of leaves, will take care of a fungus after a few applications.
You might also examine the plants closely for aphids. Aphids can be knocked out by an insecticidal soap (1 tblsp. soap, not detergent in a quart of tepid water, shake well). Spray the top and underside of the leaves, and also the stem of the pepper plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all where are you located. With a location it will help to diagnose the problem instead of guessing. From what I can see I agree with marlingardener. This looks like aphid damage in which the aphids were the vector of a fungal infection or possibly a bacterial disease such as bacterial leaf spot. Marlingardeners treatment works on fungal infections as do other methods such as diluted milk or cornmeal tea. If it is bacterial a good remedy is to spray 3% hydrogen peroxide full strength on the infected plants. If in doubt do it all as it will not harm anything/

Could you sen pic of entire plant?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Marlingardners, thanks for the tip. I just sprayed the leaves. How long do you think they will take to recover.
Should I apply everyday.
On close examination, I did not see any aphids.

chuck, I am located in Southern part of India.
Here are photos of the plants. The second image has 2 plants in one pot. One on the left is recovering by itself - it has new clean green leaves.
Sorry for the bad image quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Marlingardners, thanks for the tip. I just sprayed the leaves. How long do you think they will take to recover.
Should I apply everyday.
On close examination, I did not see any aphids.

chuck, I am located in Southern part of India.
Here are photos of the plants. The second image has 2 plants in one pot. One on the left is recovering by itself - it has new clean green leaves.
Sorry for the bad image quality.

IMO, I think this is early stage bacterial leaf spot. I don't know what the climate is in southern India but if it is an area of high humidity it is possible and even likely to be the case. If it is BLS you can treat with chemicals using a copper based fungicide or organically with hydrogen peroxide. For now I would use Marlingardeners baking soda remedy and carefully observe the new growth. I would remove the old damaged leaves also. If the new leaves start to show yellowing between the veins sprinkle about a half cup of epsom salts around the base and water it in. Try to keep the leaves dry when watering too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Copper-based fungicides are organic, as they form a barrier to infection rather than a remedy, and never enter the plant.
They will not be effective in this case, because you are already infected.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
How long before you see results depends on the severity of the infection. I usually give the spray about a week to take hold, and we too are in a humid climate.
If you get anxious, you can spray every other day--the sprays do no damage, although you may get some soda or soap spots on the leaves (easily washed off later.)

Reaction score
IMO, I think this is early stage bacterial leaf spot. I don't know what the climate is in southern India but if it is an area of high humidity it is possible and even likely to be the case. If it is BLS you can treat with chemicals using a copper based fungicide or organically with hydrogen peroxide. For now I would use Marlingardeners baking soda remedy and carefully observe the new growth. I would remove the old damaged leaves also. If the new leaves start to show yellowing between the veins sprinkle about a half cup of epsom salts around the base and water it in. Try to keep the leaves dry when watering too
The humidity here is about 60%.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The humidity here is about 60%.
That is not really humid. BLS usually occurs at about 75%-85%. Hopefully you are experiencing just a run of the mill fungus of which marlingardners remedy will fix things. Since you know it is not aphids transmitting a disease it is probably a watering issue. Try cutting down on the water and do not water from the top down. Whatever is infecting your plants is soil born so do not let your watering splash up on the leaves. You can avoid this by putting a thin layer of mulch around the base of the plant. Also make sure that your plants are receiving proper air circulation

Ask a Question