Bell pepper and tomato plant issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
These are very young plants and certain ones are looking like this. This is my first year trying to grow peppers, and certain ones are doing wonderful! Over- watering? Under? Help please!
The second photo is the tomato plant I am having trouble with. Any ideas? Leaves are not crunchy on either plant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 382
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 455
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How much water are they getting? If they're wilting due to under-watering, they'll perk up within an hour of watering. Doesn't look like they're dry though. As a general rule it's best to water relatively infrequently but deeply, and water at the base of the plant rather than from above.
Or maybe some sort of fungus....are there any spots on the leaves or stems? Or a fine spidery-web looking white stuff on the soil around the plants? If some plants are affected but not others that could be the case too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Lindsey, you should update your profile with your growing zone so people know better how to advise you. Tomato growing in Texas is not the same as tomato growing in California, or in Virginia. Your plants just look wilted, but there are a couple possible reasons, beginning with water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How much water are they getting? If they're wilting due to under-watering, they'll perk up within an hour of watering. Doesn't look like they're dry though. As a general rule it's best to water relatively infrequently but deeply, and water at the base of the plant rather than from above.
Or maybe some sort of fungus....are there any spots on the leaves or stems? Or a fine spidery-web looking white stuff on the soil around the plants? If some plants are affected but not others that could be the case too.
Thank you @Beth_B . They are getting watered via hose with shower nozzle for about 3 minutes if it has not rained. The leaves are very soft, but the next day it was perked back up again but by the end of the day ( our temp here in eastern got up to 83) it was "droopy again but soft. There is no discoloration to the plant like a fungus or anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lindsey, you should update your profile with your growing zone so people know better how to advise you. Tomato growing in Texas is not the same as tomato growing in California, or in Virginia. Your plants just look wilted, but there are a couple possible reasons, beginning with water.
Thank you @ChanellG ! I have updated my location. I believe it was water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is there anything I should add or could add to my pepper plants to perk them up a bit/ help them along? I have put plant food out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think you nailed it with the water issue. :)
One suggestion: instead of showering them from above, water them deeply at the base of the plant. They'll get more water to the roots, where it's needed, rather than getting the leaves wet. Once established, they shouldn't need daily watering.
And welcome to the forum!

PS, if you want to get really serious, have your soil checked by your state Uni extension Master Gardener program. I do a weak application of compost tea every couple of weeks to plants in the ground or containers, and a little more frequently in my straw bales.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's good advice from @Beth_B. Remember that everyone's garden has it's own microclimate(s) and sometimes even plants side by side in the same area will perform differently. There's a learning curve with gardening. Last year my cherry tomatoes did great in large flower pots. This year, the new plants are limping along and the old plant (wintered in the greenhouse) is still growing and producing tomatoes!

Last year I didn't do anything special, didn't even use fertilizer! Just my usual banana peel water, aspirin water, and epsom salt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As noted above...don't water them with a sprinkler or nozzle. Just lay the hose on the ground at the base of the plant and turn on water until the stream is about the size of a pencil or your little finger and let it run for a few (2-5) minutes. This will let the water get down deep into the soil.
Watering plants from above can cause fungal problems, and other issues as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry,but don't use a hose at all; it's chlorinated water and you would be bleaching your plants.
Use rainwater or dechlorinated tapwater applied by watering can without a rose.

Ask a Question