Bell pepper and tomato plant issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sorry,but don't use a hose at all; it's chlorinated water and you would be bleaching your plants.
Use rainwater or dechlorinated tapwater applied by watering can without a rose.

Been growing a garden for 37 years and use water straight from the hose to water with every year. The only other water that my garden gets is what God sends from heaven.

A few things that come out of my garden watered with a hose....

IMG_4146_Radishes_2012.jpg

IMG_5099_GARDEN_07_01_12-copy.jpg

IMG_5132_GARDEN_07_03_12-copy.jpg

IMG_5167_GARDEN_07_09_12-copy.jpg

IMG_5168_GARDEN_07_09_12-copy.jpg

These Beefstake tomato plants are over 8 feet tall....watered with chlorinated water straight from the hose.....
IMG5134_maters_zpsnkcxb1hz.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry,but don't use a hose at all; it's chlorinated water and you would be bleaching your plants.
Use rainwater or dechlorinated tapwater applied by watering can without a rose.

I respectfully beg to differ -as someone who has used hose water for both plants and topping off my garden pond and my oldest goldfish is seven, going on eight years old. And I have had healthy, productive vegetable, flower gardens and lawns for over 30 years.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
So does using hose when watering plants make any difference? I'm a bit confused. Does it really bleach the plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So does using hose when watering plants make any difference? I'm a bit confused. Does it really bleach the plants?

Maybe it depends on your water source, but I've watered gardens and houseplants for over 30 years in three different states straight out of the hose or faucet and never noticed any bleaching of the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've never noticed bleaching of the plants either. Have always used water hose (city and well water are both on my property).
Pepper looks beautiful now...tomato is errrr... Alive but not too pretty trying the salts this week.out of almost 25 he's the only one suffering now.thanks for all of the advice you guys I really in appreciate it!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mean that the leaves will go white, or anything like that.
What I mean is that YOUR FOOD will take up the equivalent of little quantities of bleach.
I don't fancy eating bleach, so, wherever I can, I dechlorinate tap-water if I have to use it.

Ask a Question