Bell peppers surviving winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My bell pepper plant is still mostly fine (a little droopy and it lost about 1/4 of it's leaves) and is still growing peppers. Years ago I tried to keep a tomato plant through the winter and although it lived it never really got back to looking healthy and produced very little. Not to mention the tomatoes that it grew didn't taste great. Will I have the same problem with my bell pepper plant or do you think it will be okay? It's just out in one of my raised planter beds but the weather was never cold enough to kill it and I don't think it will now. I've never grown them before last year ( I don't like them, I grew them for my husband) so pardon if this is common knowledge and I'm just not in the know, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My bell pepper plant is still mostly fine (a little droopy and it lost about 1/4 of it's leaves) and is still growing peppers. Years ago I tried to keep a tomato plant through the winter and although it lived it never really got back to looking healthy and produced very little. Not to mention the tomatoes that it grew didn't taste great. Will I have the same problem with my bell pepper plant or do you think it will be okay? It's just out in one of my raised planter beds but the weather was never cold enough to kill it and I don't think it will now. I've never grown them before last year ( I don't like them, I grew them for my husband) so pardon if this is common knowledge and I'm just not in the know, lol.
It will survive and produce but not as prolifically as a new plant would, plus, it will be more prone to disease which may spread.to other plants. Transplants are cheap, don't take a chance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, veggies such as tomatoes and peppers are pretty much one-season producers. I'd be ruthless and start fresh each year, something you can easily do in your climate.

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I say just leave it. Peppers are very very hardy plants. I had one that survived about 3 frosts and a flood and produced fruit for 10mnths. It will eventually start producing less but who cares as long as it keeps producing (unless you just need the space). Also, if you grow other vegetables keep it as a pest plant meaning that the bugs eating on that plant wont be eating the ones you care about--an old trick I learned growing vegetables is to always grow a couple for the bugs too..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Because it already has grown its root system and plant material, it is likely to produce earlier than new plants; I'd keep it, but isolate it from this year's, and bin it when this year's plants start producing.

I protect one chilli plant each year by bringing it inside and nursing it through the winter.

Ask a Question