Beer

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not the drink, but the Devon fishing village of the same name :)

Went down just as the rain was clearing.
DSCN1204.JPG
DSCN1206.JPG
DSCN1207.JPG

Some garden escapes and rapeseed on the cliffs.
DSCN1213.JPG

Red and white Valerian.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the pictures! My first thought was that you were going to talk about using beer as fertilizer. Which I have no idea if it works.... don't try it! I was raised around drunks, they think beer is good for everything.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal just told me the name comes from a wooded valley :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I assumed it was the drinking kind of beer too. I thought maybe you were growing hops! One morning , about 11am, I was walking around my garden with a beer in my hand. Just a little too early for a drink plus I'm a wine drinker. I had purchased some snail traps which you poor beer into. Apparently the snails can't resist and drown. I'm not sure whether it worked. Too many snails, too had to go out after every rainfall, too hard to remember where I put the traps. I've use an animal friendly snail poison but I do find I'm fighting a loosing battle with them. I've tried making a deal with them. They can live with the agapanthus but please leave my cannas alone. I have bought a tobacco plant, don't know it's other name, which the snails love I'm told so in too scared to plant it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I assumed it was the drinking kind of beer too. I thought maybe you were growing hops! One morning , about 11am, I was walking around my garden with a beer in my hand. Just a little too early for a drink plus I'm a wine drinker. I had purchased some snail traps which you poor beer into. Apparently the snails can't resist and drown. I'm not sure whether it worked. Too many snails, too had to go out after every rainfall, too hard to remember where I put the traps. I've use an animal friendly snail poison but I do find I'm fighting a loosing battle with them. I've tried making a deal with them. They can live with the agapanthus but please leave my cannas alone. I have bought a tobacco plant, don't know it's other name, which the snails love I'm told so in too scared to plant it.

Snails ate all my Tobacco plants :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That is a shame. They ate all my hostas, pain in the necks. I have a friend with a surviving tobacco plant. Don't know what ner secret is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is a shame. They ate all my hostas, pain in the necks. I have a friend with a surviving tobacco plant. Don't know what ner secret is.

I read recently that slugs and ants love but cannot digest cornmeal. I'm hoping to give this a try soon to see if it will work on snails as well. It rains so much between winter and spring that I can consider February to May-June snail season.

Slugs and snails don't touch my Nicotiana that I grow every year, perhaps they prefer the variety you can smoke! :)

I must not have the right kind then, because something is eating at my baby plants and I have yet to see a worm.

Ask a Question