Beer for Butterflies????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I picked up a bird bath last night to make a butterfly puddler for my garden. I keep reading to put in sand and stale beer. This surprised me and I'm apprehensive. Does anyone here have a successful puddler, and what do you put in it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have two, one in the backyard and one in front. I just make sure there is enough gravel or small stones in each so the butterflies can perch and drink. I find it easier to clean with gravel or small stones. I have an old colander that I dump the water/gravel into, rinse the gravel, swish out the container with a dish brush, and then put the gravel back in the shallow container with the appropriate amount of water.
Birds are going to come to drink, too, and do what birds doo-doo. Sand, I think, would be hard to clean so you'd be constantly replacing it.
Beer? Definitely not. Perhaps some people think the sugar content in beer is beneficial. NO, butterflies need water, and can get sugar from the nectar in flowers.
We have several varieties of butterflies (see my avatar) and they use the butterfly watering stations a LOT! Please don't use beer or other additives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We have two, one in the backyard and one in front. I just make sure there is enough gravel or small stones in each so the butterflies can perch and drink. I find it easier to clean with gravel or small stones. I have an old colander that I dump the water/gravel into, rinse the gravel, swish out the container with a dish brush, and then put the gravel back in the shallow container with the appropriate amount of water.
Birds are going to come to drink, too, and do what birds doo-doo. Sand, I think, would be hard to clean so you'd be constantly replacing it.
Beer? Definitely not. Perhaps some people think the sugar content in beer is beneficial. NO, butterflies need water, and can get sugar from the nectar in flowers.
We have several varieties of butterflies (see my avatar) and they use the butterfly watering stations a LOT! Please don't use beer or other additives.
Great idea! I have plenty of gravel on hand. Definitely sounds a lot easier to clean. Water it is. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Beer is for slug traps only. And only that small bit of beer in the bottom of the can that guests leave behind. Slugs deserve backwash!

I try to grow some fraģrant hanging pots. Hummingbirds are just too fascinating and priceless.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You would be surprised at what attracts a butterfly--mostly things you don't want to know about. However, citrus past its prime, rotting bananas, and even hamburger that has turned gray and nasty are some of their favorites.
We have a hanging plate where I occasionally put squishy oranges, black bananas, and soft apple slices for the local butterfly population. I just try to stay upwind of that!

Reaction score
I visited a butterfly ''park'' some months ago, butterflies seems to be attracted by citrus fruits :O I saw a butterfly standing on half an orange, having the time of her life. They love fruits! I thought they were better fed that many people in my country, hehehe. They don't seem so picky with their food either :) I'd not be surprised if stale beer actually worked for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I put a little banana in there. No takers yet from what I've seen, I will try an orange today :) I'm worried, though, because we have trouble with fire ants here and I can't use pesticides on them now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a partial banana in the freezer for when I have to provide butterfly food to a monarch in distress. I haven't set up a puddler yet, or anything even remotely "permanent" because I'm still deciding where the new plants are going to live in the yard.

That said, while you can use the same simple sugar solution for butterflies that you give to hummingbirds, beer has alcohol and that is never a good idea.

Ask a Question