Banana water question?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been using banana water on my tomatoes and the tomato plants are finished due to a variety of factors. My question in this: since we continue to eat bananas, will the nutrients stay in the soil over the winter if banana water is continued to be used in the beds? I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia, zone 8b.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A banana peel isn't really doing to just dissolve in water. Will some potassium dissolve, yea I guess, but how much and how long do you soak a banana peel for? Just about any kind of organic fertilizer will provide more. You are probably better off burying the banana peel in the garden than using banana peel water. Or better yet, start a compost pile and use that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are on to something good friend. The best thing about using Banana water is it's mild and won't burn the plants. If you add any nutrients to the soil and you get a lot of rain in a rainy season the nutrient may dilute or change consistency depending on soil conditions. It won't hurt anything when using Banana water or you add bananas to the soil during Winter. There's a lot of good stuff left in Bananas.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've never heard of banana water. Do you soak the peels in water? Boil them in it? Composted banana peel tea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never heard of banana water. Do you soak the peels in water? Boil them in it? Composted banana peel tea?
Your supposed to soak a banana peel in water for whatever time period and the nutrients dissolve into the water... supposedly. Not sure about the boiling part.

Bananas do have alot of nutrients in them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your supposed to soak a banana peel in water for whatever time period and the nutrients dissolve into the water... supposedly. Not sure about the boiling part.

Bananas do have alot of nutrients in them.

Makes sense I guess. I know each fall when I dump my rain barrels to put them away for the winter there is "skeleton leaves" at the bottom. Everything on them decomposes in the water and all that's left is the veins in the leaves. So soaking banana peels in water for an extended period of time would probably do something similar and give a quick fix of nutrients when used to water the plants. I don't know if boiling would help release some nutrients and speed up the process or not? I know when you boil veggies it is said that a lot of the nutrients in them seeps into the water and is lost when it's dumped so my guess is it might not be as good as leaving them soak for a long period of time until decomposed but a good quick way to do it. Interesting either way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know a guy using about a dozen Bananas pulverized in Blender. Add Latac fertilizer and Molasses and some Stove Ash. Let ferment use couple onces just before Blooming and Fruiting.

big rockpile

Ask a Question