Bamboo

Reaction score
Country
Norway
what kind of bamboo should I get that is thick and straight and yellow-green? I have same slim and tall bamboo in my yard, it's cool for making rods for various things , but I want some thicker bamboo that I can make more things from than just a rod. Any species recommendations and who sells?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
3.png

I was about to post the same!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Moso bamboo. Don't blame me if all your neighbours hate you.

upload_2017-11-14_18-31-22.jpeg

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' is best as it's a clumpster, not a spreader or runner.

spectabilis-hq-stripes.jpg

I so want to have one of these!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Neat. I have often thought of growing some bamboo, but I always thought they were all "runners". The Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' looks like it might be the answer.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MoonShadows Opt for Phyllostachys Nigre with black stems. Only buy them in proper shops when they are reduced. As the young bamboos might look black in colour, but they are not actually Nigre.. Also, Nigre can be changed hands very easily. A lot of people love them, here in the UK any way. I love the Fargesia Blue Fountain and strangely enough, it has red polished stem..

See the photo below: Fargesia blue fountain

It is a much more handsome bamboo as the stems are red, burnished and polished. Unlike the Fargesia Jiuzhaigou which has very dull terracotta stems

upload_2017-11-15_7-43-45.jpeg

Also, this is a clumpster.

You could easily separate and multiply them and make some money or might even buy some bitcoin with the money. LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@alp. It is very attractive bamboo. When you write buy them in "proper shops", what do you mean? I have no idea where to buy bamboo, other than online.

Fund my bitcoin...hmmmmmmmm :p

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK, I often go to diy store gc as they do have Phyllostachys Nigre, but not Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'. Two or three weeks ago, they were clearing them for the Ccchristmas trees, so they reduced them half price. I got one for under £13. I split that into 6 plants.

If you want a phyllostachys Nigre, it has to be tall and mature as quite a few bamboos have black stems when young. :eek:.

I think you can buy Spectabilis online, but must say to the seller that you need to see THE GREEN STRIPE in the delivered product.

Or go for reputable companies and keep an eye out for their reduction. If not reduced, they can be very expensive. £40 for a 13L .. I was very lucky to have got mine for under £13!

Ask a Question