Bagworms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks very much for your reply Chuck. I think the same as you regarding re-infestation. Meanwhile my son has just got back to me and said the person that gave the quote says it's not bagworms but Rhizosphaera needle cast. That starts at the base of the tree and with treatment still has pretty much the same outcome, probably the eventual loss of the trees. I feel this person is trying to make money out of someone he thinks is gullible. My son isn't of course, although he knows very little about gardening still and will consult me first.

Meanwhile I'll get him to take more pictures so we can see what's going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks very much for your reply Chuck. I think the same as you regarding re-infestation. Meanwhile my son has just got back to me and said the person that gave the quote says it's not bagworms but Rhizosphaera needle cast. That starts at the base of the tree and with treatment still has pretty much the same outcome, probably the eventual loss of the trees. I feel this person is trying to make money out of someone he thinks is gullible. My son isn't of course, although he knows very little about gardening still and will consult me first.

Meanwhile I'll get him to take more pictures so we can see what's going on.
I looked up this fungal disease and it is not even similar to bagworms as there are no bags. Are your son's trees spruce trees? If not then I would consult a different tree person. Have your son get in touch with a Certified Arborist. Usually they are honest because if they aren't they lose their certification. Pics will be nice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I looked up this fungal disease and it is not even similar to bagworms as there are no bags.

My thoughts exactly! I think this person is trying it on. Yes, I think the trees my son is referring too are the spruces he has. I'll know more when he gets back to me. I just wish there wasn't so many miles between us and I could see them for myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My thoughts exactly! I think this person is trying it on. Yes, I think the trees my son is referring too are the spruces he has. I'll know more when he gets back to me. I just wish there wasn't so many miles between us and I could see them for myself.
Well, one is as bad as the other. In my limited research the fungal disease is a 2 or 3 year project twice per year and even that is iffy at best. The bagworms take about the same amount of time but it is more likely to be a success but still expensive and slightly less iffy. I'd still replace the trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
After a couple of hours research last night and further questions fired at my son today I think I've got to the bottom of this. The trees are all spruces around fifteen to twenty feet in height. It occurred to me that what he thinks he can see as Bagworms at the top, are probably cones on the newer growth. Tomorrow (due to heavy snow today) he is going to check them out more closely and take some pictures. Regarding the other disease - Rhizosphaera, I'm almost certain his trees have it so the guy who visited was right. Again I will have confirmation with pictures. This disease usually occurs because of over watering and humidity. You may remember that my son has problems with flooding which is the likely cause, although the trees aren't standing in that area.

Research tells me that to contain, not cure this disease, they would need to be sprayed two to three times a year for the next three years and beyond that there is no guarantee of survival. The chemicals used are harmful to humans, animals and various other plants so that idea has been discarded. He desperately wants to keep these trees as they provide privacy, so I have suggested (from reading) that he removes all branches that are affected and burns them. The disease starts on the lower branches and works it's way up, so my thoughts are that perhaps with these removed, as they were touching the ground, it may well give the trees a chance of survival. Unless of course the Bagworms get to work again this year.

If the trees have to be replaced I've suggested Thuja which apparently is very resistant to this disease. He wants something that is evergreen for year round privacy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After a couple of hours research last night and further questions fired at my son today I think I've got to the bottom of this. The trees are all spruces around fifteen to twenty feet in height. It occurred to me that what he thinks he can see as Bagworms at the top, are probably cones on the newer growth. Tomorrow (due to heavy snow today) he is going to check them out more closely and take some pictures. Regarding the other disease - Rhizosphaera, I'm almost certain his trees have it so the guy who visited was right. Again I will have confirmation with pictures. This disease usually occurs because of over watering and humidity. You may remember that my son has problems with flooding which is the likely cause, although the trees aren't standing in that area.

Research tells me that to contain, not cure this disease, they would need to be sprayed two to three times a year for the next three years and beyond that there is no guarantee of survival. The chemicals used are harmful to humans, animals and various other plants so that idea has been discarded. He desperately wants to keep these trees as they provide privacy, so I have suggested (from reading) that he removes all branches that are affected and burns them. The disease starts on the lower branches and works it's way up, so my thoughts are that perhaps with these removed, as they were touching the ground, it may well give the trees a chance of survival. Unless of course the Bagworms get to work again this year.

If the trees have to be replaced I've suggested Thuja which apparently is very resistant to this disease. He wants something that is evergreen for year round privacy.
That's about all you can do, that and hope for the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarCharo43

Latest Threads