Bagworms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
My son's shrubs are being invaded by Bagworms. Can anyone explain to me what they are please and how to get rid of them?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My son's shrubs are being invaded by Bagworms. Can anyone explain to me what they are please and how to get rid of them?
There are different varieties of bagworms but most all of them prefer shrubs and deciduous trees. Unless you know when the moths will arrive and lay their eggs there isn't much you can do. About the only thing you can effectively do is to hand pick them and to rake up any fallen bags. The bags are basically impervious to insecticides. At different times the bags have either eggs inside of them or a caterpillar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Chuck. Apparently they've invaded most of my son's shrubs and trees. Will they kill the plants or is it a seasonal invasion that the plants will recover from?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. Apparently they've invaded most of my son's shrubs and trees. Will they kill the plants or is it a seasonal invasion that the plants will recover from?
If the eggs are not removed they will be back and many many times the bagworms will kill a tree or shrub in time. Have your son go out with a pair of scissors and snip them off. He won't get all of them. Also rake up any that have fallen to the ground. Those eggs will become larvae. This is a long term problem and once you have an infestation of them they are difficult to eradicate and they will be back. A lot of folks in Texas just give up and change to plants which the bagworms don't like. Without knowing exactly which variety of bagworm it is it is just about impossible to tell you when to do anything. Just start spraying in the early spring and don't stop. Spray with both Neem and spinosad and just keep snipping them off.

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your concern Chuck. :) Although they've lost five conifers and one slightly damaged, they (my son and his wife) only found one bagworm on another tree - an Acer. Hopefully they've got to them in time. My son has already cut the conifers down and will burn them later today.