Avocado transplant shock

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a baby avocado tree that’s 9 months old now and maybe what feels like a ft. tall ( my mom planted it in with snake plant — not thinking much but the sucker grew lol. It’s been growing great with the snake plant who typically goes 2 weeks without watering ( I let soil dry completely— being careful to prevent root rot … the pot is very big and deep but not draining hole) because that particular one doesn’t like wet feet. & apparently avocados trees can relate so the environment is good ….. I recently decided to let Carlito (avocado tree) have the pot to himself to allow more room to grow as he began to lean to get more room ….. i uprooted the snake plant with no issues. I uprooted the avocado tree by locating the roots … however, when it came time to move to center of the pot …. The roots remained in soil and only taproot. My mom said I transplant shocked it and now it’s all sad & wilted ! This is day 1 please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is him

Attachments

• 2DB65CEA-BAA1-435F-8925-D0611789D602.jpeg
    2DB65CEA-BAA1-435F-8925-D0611789D602.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I understand you correctly you tried to move the avacado and when you moved it all of the feeder roots broke off except for the main "tap root"? This is not good and may prove fatal for the plant. What I would do is go buy a product called SuperThrive and use as directed. I would also change pots to one with good drainage. If you don't I can guarantee that, in time, the tree will die from root rot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I understand you correctly you tried to move the avacado and when you moved it all of the feeder roots broke off except for the main "tap root"? This is not good and may prove fatal for the plant. What I would do is go buy a product called SuperThrive and use as directed. I would also change pots to one with good drainage. If you don't I can guarantee that, in time, the tree will die from root rot.
Yes! This is what happened I’m soo sad! I was hoping it would possibly regrow feeder roots being the taproot still is intact & I agree atleast I gave him a good 9 months! I’ll definitely try the suggestion! Thank you ❤️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes! This is what happened I’m soo sad! I was hoping it would possibly regrow feeder roots being the taproot still is intact & I agree atleast I gave him a good 9 months! I’ll definitely try the suggestion! Thank you ❤️
That is what the SuperThrive is for. It will help grow new feeder roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is what the SuperThrive is for. It will help grow new feeder roots.
Should I wait for the soil to dry completely before adding the super thrive? … & also is it too late for epsom salt to reduce the ‘shock’ ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Should I wait for the soil to dry completely before adding the super thrive? … & also is it too late for epsom salt to reduce the ‘shock’ ?
ES will not reduce transplant shock in this case. It will help somewhat on plants that have not been severely injured. Do the SuperThrive ASAP after you change containers. SuperThrive is a great anti-shock product.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ES will not reduce transplant shock in this case. It will help somewhat on plants that have not been severely injured. Do the SuperThrive ASAP after you change containers. SuperThrive is a great anti-shock product.
Okay thank you chuck

Ask a Question